M4 style Ar 15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > M4 style Ar 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
I would like to get a good sighting system. The one I got is just a cheap one to let me shoot it this weekend. I'm up for suggestion on scope or red dot. I also need to be able to put a sling on it but not sure where to attach it. It has the gas block with rail but that kinda bothers me. Was wondering if there was a slingmount that mounts to the barrel. I think it would have been alot better if they had put a sight instead of just a gas block. They could at least made the gas block the same tallness of the back rail. Searching for a good flip down sights that actually fit the gas block. What do you think I shoild do next?
If I were you ... and this is just personal preference, I would do the following.

12" free float tube
Low profile gas block
Nice flip up sights
Eotech 512 as your holographic sight
Sling swivels on the forearm and at the buttstock for 2 point or a single sling attachment for a one point sling.

Reasoning behind this:
The free float tube extended past the gas block will allow you to have a longer sight radius and give you more options on where you want to place your hand. If you do a 2 point sling it will allow you to sling up really hard and not shift your point of impact.

You want a modular system that you can change as you try new stuff and find out what you like best. You may like a 2 point sling now or a magwell grip, but after a year of shooting carbine you'll prefer different things and entertain different schools of thought on how to run your firearm.

The Eotech 512 is a good sight that can be obtained relatively cheap. It's not NV compatible and takes AA batteries. Super simple and takes a beating. I got mine for 200, used.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Like I said, these are some things I like and I feel will be adaptable to different types of training.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #22

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Only problem with removing this gas block is that the barrel is only 14 1\2 inches so the flash suppressor was pinned and welded on. A free floating barrel isn't happening on this gun. Unless I change out the barrel. I'm going to check out alot of what you guys are saying. See what will work and what won't. Sights are my next priority. Tomorrow I'm testing out the gun for the first time. Going to see how I like my cheap red dot and then switch over to that heavy scope and see how it does at some distance. I'm figuring with the scope on this short barrel I should be able to hit something at 300 yards.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #23

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a 14.5 in barrel and I've taken it out to 500.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #24

I don't doubt these gun will shoot that far. Trust me I'm going to put this little rifle thru some paces today. My kids are jazzed about shooting it too.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #25

Just got back from shooting my ar15. This thing shoots great! Very smooth and everything felt so tight. No slop, the new spring and buffer are a perfect match. I shot with the red dot first and it was easy to sight in and stayed sited in. But it wasn't very bright. Switched over to my scope and it sighted in ok then the mount came apart and I forgot to bring my star allen wrench. But I love this gun already.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

What? We're adding pics of extended range AR builds with ACS stocks? Well here's mine...

BCM 16" ML 1:8 SS upper, Hypertouch 3lb trigger, STS ARMS cerakoted lower & M16 BCG, Ranier Raptor ambi CH...all helpfully balanced out by the ACS stock. This gun is golden for 500 yards if need be (not always sure about the shooter though). Beyond that, there are superior options/calibers IMO. Realistically, I only ask that this gun do its part for 200-300 yards.

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #27

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Only problem with removing this gas block is that the barrel is only 14 1\2 inches so the flash suppressor was pinned and welded on. A free floating barrel isn't happening on this gun. Unless I change out the barrel. I'm going to check out alot of what you guys are saying. See what will work and what won't. Sights are my next priority. Tomorrow I'm testing out the gun for the first time. Going to see how I like my cheap red dot and then switch over to that heavy scope and see how it does at some distance. I'm figuring with the scope on this short barrel I should be able to hit something at 300 yards.
you can always shave the FSB on the gun that will fix your free float problem . Lots of video to show you how you just need to wrap up the barrel to protect it and take your time . I removed mine and did it but lots of people cant get the pins out so they just do them on the barrel

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #28

Not sure I want to do any major operations to my gun just yet. I just got it lol. But in time who knows. But you guys are giving me some good in sight.