M4 style Ar 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > M4 style Ar 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default M4 style Ar 15

Ok guys and gals, bought my lower awhile back. Order a 20 inch barrel kit. Had problems with the company so went out and bought a M4 style barrel that just changed everything about my plans on building my first Ar 15. I'm clueless on the M4 style Ar guns. So tell me what you would put on this gun. Planning on using it for fun doing scenario target shooting with friends. The scope was for the 20 inch barrel but not sure what type of sights to put on it since the barrel is so short and has a gas block where the front sight would be.

forumrunner_20130801_180824.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

the velocity diff is only a real factor when you get out to 500ish yards with a 16" barrel so your current scope will work just fine.

it just looks a little odd with the a2 stock.

if you still want to do the a2 thing you might look to a barrel from rra or white oak or krieger

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #3

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

The stock is one of the first thing I'm going to change. What colapsable stocks do you guys recommend? I'm old school but that doesn't work when dealing with the M4. Haven't been around them so I'm new to this platform. I'm looking for sights to put on here. The scope isn't going on this one. Not real sure if I should go red dot, haven't ever used one. Was wonder about regular sights but not sure about the gas block it has a rail on it but I don't know if the front sights come in different heights. Also not sure how to install a sling on this since it doesn't have any to place put one on here. Any recommendations on how to fix this thing up will be considered.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i use a magpul acs-l on my bcm carbine. midwest industries has gasblock height metal front sights. for the rear i use matech buis.

lots of folks use a single point attachment on the endplate of the m4 collapsable stock.

i run an acog on mine the wife uses a aimpoint reddot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

here is my bcm bhf lightweight carbine

its still sporting that craptastic larue rco acog mount. its since been removed and replaced with a adm mount. its also wearing my surefire fa762k sound suppressor blue force two point sling and magpul furniture

Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There's nothing wrong with the standard M4 stock if you're going for the M4 look. I have that on a 14.5" mid length setup. It's simple, lightweight and relatively cheap.

That said, I also have the UBR, STR, and PRS stocks on builds and Magpul makes really nice stuff. Their pistol grips are super comfortable too and don't have those goofy finger grooves.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #7

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I'm not big on the M4 style AR's myself I prefer the full length m16 style really love the 60's style m16. But if I were doing this build I would put a set of flip up irons on the rifle for back up sights. I would get the original style 6 position stock that was on the CAR style of carbines I guess it's the original M4 stock.

Other then that I would just leave it alone If you were doing some more CQB style drills and what not you might want to get a forward grip just for ease of use honestly I like the way they feel even when shooting with a scope.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

ACS-L

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

MOE stock

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 960 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 71

A couple of shots of my Magpul UBR's. The second one is for a build i'm working on right now. UBR's are one of the most expensive around, but by far the best in my opinion.

image-498529122.jpgimage-1360241671.jpg

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334