M16A1 build questions. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > M16A1 build questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
one of the differences from the m16 to the m16a1 IS the addition of brass deflector. brass deflectors are correct for an A1 the abscence of a deflector is not coorect for an A1
Every A1 I've ever seen had a forward assist with no deflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve762 View Post
The built-in brass deflector hump came with the A2.

The A1 required a black plastic piece that snapped into the ejector port, to deflect brass for lefties.
That's what I was thinking.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I think I'll use this upper

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/3250

Any idea want the best refinishing technique might be? I'd like to go with the original gray look rather than the new black.
That's likely the same Colt A1 upper that comes with the parts kit that you listed earlier. It would come down to deciding if the $170 for the upper alone, is a better value than the combination of upper + other parts, for $500.

The A1 did have a 'pencil' barrel configuration--the barrel diameter in front of the FSB and behind the FSB was the same. The A2 fattened up the barrel in front of the FSB.

The Army started emphasizing use of bayonet at some time in the 80s, and we bent barrels on the molded plastic torsos used on bayonet assault training courses--according to the official stories. I think a lot more barrels were bent twisting the binding wires on MCI cases (the canned rations that followed 'C rats', and preceded MREs--which came with polyethylene straps on the cases, in lieu of binding wire). ;-)

Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Every A1 I've ever seen had a forward assist with no deflector.
Every A1 I was ever issued had a forward assist and no deflector hump.

I got one of the re-imported export A1 kits from this guy a few years ago; back then, he included a US made barrel, with FSB, gas tube, etc installed, for less than the barrel-less kit is now:

http://www.gunthings.com/

(If I can't post links yet, it's gunthings with a . com afterward).

All the Colt markable parts were 'C' marked.

If none of those options float your boat, take a look at Nodak Spud. These guys are all about retro...and more at retroblackrifle.

Last edited by Steve762; 10-28-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve762 View Post
Every A1 I was ever issued had a forward assist and no deflector hump.

I got one of the re-imported export A1 kits from this guy a few years ago; back then, he included a US made barrel, with FSB, gas tube, etc installed, for less than the barrel-less kit is now:

http://www.gunthings.com/

(If I can't post links yet, it's gunthings with a . com afterward).

All the Colt markable parts were 'C' marked.

If none of those options float your boat, take a look at Nodak Spud. These guys are all about retro...and more at retroblackrifle.

I think I was getting my versions confused. Your right the a1 has no forward assist

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...