Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > M16 type of gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Bernie - If you are on a budget, the aftermarket of used AR's could be a good choice for you.

if you want to build your own, we have had several members lately building their own models and have averaged about $600 to $700 for a well built, semi custom weapon.

As for the .22 cal option. You really only need a couple of pieces. It's a new bolt configuration and a magazine to feed the ammo. It changes out with a standard .223/5.56 upper in about 2 minutes and you can safely shoot it all day long with much cheaper ammo.

If you have any questions - please feel free to stop by the forum here and talk with the guys and gals. They are all quite friendly once they get to know you.

JD

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #12

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I was once told by my grandfather that there is no such thing as a stupid question, maybe an ignorant one but not stupid. Remember EVERYONE started out ignorant at one time or another, we learn from each other and grow on each others knowlegde.

There are lots of 'AR' type rifles to choose from and you're sure to find one in your price range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. The AR is easily the most modified and customized/able rifles out there. Eugene Stoner would be proud if he knew how far his idea has gone. There are several calibers that are available now other than the 5.56mm. 7.62x39, .308,and the 300 Fireball are just 3 and the list goes on, and on.

I like the Remington 870, can't go wrong with a "tried and true" design. My wifes dad has an 870 that was made in 1903 and he has thrown out of shooting matches while using it. He out-shot guys with custom barrels, his gun has a 5-year old standard 870 barrel on it.

I guess nothing beats an old man with experience.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #13

I bet his 870 wasn't made in 1903, and I am sure Mr. Stoner knows how successful his design has been, he's only passed about 10 years ago. I am just busting on you dude.

But I agree, there have a ton of posts recently on the AR platform. If those don't answer your questions Bernie, I am sure a few PM's will get you what you're looking for.

Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 AM   #14

Here you go bernie, here's about the cheapest AR you can find right now. Got it for $600, I know I spent less than what most of you guys would have but I've not had any problems out of it.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #15

There ya' go, a fairly basic one--oh, and Hi neighbor, I'm in next to you in IL.
So, dragunovsks, do tell--Since yours has proven reliable and was fairly reasonabe, where did you come up with it--kit, used, web site, got any tips, leads for me?
I'm still checking out on the web, various ways to go.
I've encountered a slight delay--a ran across an old jeep truck I just had to have.
It needs quite a bit, but that's another hobby of mine.
I have to recover slightly on $$$, then I can make a move.
I won't start work on the truck until summer...
I can probably sneak in an AR, or at least the lower receiver...

Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
There ya' go, a fairly basic one--oh, and Hi neighbor, I'm in next to you in IL.
So, dragunovsks, do tell--Since yours has proven reliable and was fairly reasonabe, where did you come up with it--kit, used, web site, got any tips, leads for me?
I'm still checking out on the web, various ways to go.
I've encountered a slight delay--a ran across an old jeep truck I just had to have.
It needs quite a bit, but that's another hobby of mine.
I have to recover slightly on $$$, then I can make a move.
I won't start work on the truck until summer...
I can probably sneak in an AR, or at least the lower receiver...
bernie, if you're going to build it piecemeal and you live in a state that has vestiges of the Assault Weapons Ban still in place, get a pre-ban lower. That should enable you to build whatever you want without any legal issues. If you live in a free state, the issue is moot.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 AM   #17

Bernie, I did go with about the most basic AR out there but that's because I will occasionally use it to hunt coyote and of course target practice. I bought mine from a local gunshop, 111 Gunshop in Clarksville IN. But I doubt you'll want to drive that far just to buy a rifle. It's a Century Arms but I don't know if they have any on thier website. I bought the whole rifle, complete but was told by the dealer about a kit that cost right about the same amount of money. The reason I didn't go with a kit is because I've never put a firearm together from a kit and I would probably have built this same rifle or something pretty close to it, so I didn't see the point.

Before I found this one, I almost got a 16" DPMS Panther Lite, but was swayed by the price of this rifle. Where in Illinois do you live?

Forgot to add, this rifle only came with one 30-round mag (the one in the mag well). The other mags in the pic were given to me by my dad, he had about 30 mags to spare. Of the 5 mags he gave me, only one had ever been fired from. You can probably tell which one.

1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
Savage Model 64, .22LR
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 09-24-2008 at 04:16 AM.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6910

hey bernie
you can check out the AR-15 that i just finished building
JD already mentioned it
for about $100 more of what dragun payed you can get a M4 carbine style AR-15
i personally like this set up because the customization possibilities are almost endless

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie View Post
WOW--
didn't mean to get anybody up in arms.
Again, I apologize, and will attempt to restrict my questions in the future.
Thank you.
Don't sweat it, you have to remember that at any given time 15% of the population is seriously mentally ill, or far right politically, or extremest in some other area of their lives...

In the case of firearms, forums attract much of that extremest, or chronically paranoid or mentally ill percentile!

This forum is particularly hard on anyone that doesn't speak it's language or share it's very narrow views.
------------------------

As for your orignal question,

The M-16 is a fully automatic weapon, usually issued to police or military.
The M-16 comes in two basic designs, one is 3 shots in a burst when the trigger is pulled, the second selection is fully automatic meaning it will fire as long as the trigger is pulled and the magazine has ammunition.

An 'AR-15' is usually referred to as the 'Civilian' version of the M-16, meaning most AR-15's have only semi-automatic, or auto loading capacity.
They fire only ONE round each time the trigger is depressed, and you have to let up on the trigger and pull it again to fire the next round.

Now, we can cover two myths about AR rifles...
1. You CAN OWN a fully automatic, military type M-16.
You will have to fill out the property BATFE paperwork, go through a background check, and purchase your fully automatic weapon through an authorized dealer and have it properly registered, but you CAN OWN 'Machine Guns' or fully automatic firearms.

Many of us 'Class 3' owners and dealers will be at Knob Creek Gun Range in Kentucky this coming weekend (10-11-12-Oct.) for a legal machine gun shoot
http://www.MachineGunShoot.com

2. Not all 'AR-15' rifles are 'Semi-Auto' or 'Civilian Legal'.
M-16 is a US Army Designation, and the Air Force was the first branch of the service to pick up the AR style rifle, still called their fully auto 'AR-15' for several years after they were adopted.
-----------------------------

'Assault Weapon' is usually a misnomer.
Depending on what you want added to, or attached to, your rifle will depend on it's 'Legality'.

In the last 'Gun Ban', things like threaded barrels for screw on accessories were not legal.
You simply pin on or weld on the accessory and it's legal.

'Pistol Grip' stocks were deemed 'Illegal', and this was quite easily circumvented by using a 'Thumb Hole' stock.

Collapsing or Folding stocks were deemed 'Illegal' and this was easily circumvented by pinning the 'Collapsible' or 'Folding' stocks in place with a 10¢ roll pin that could be removed with a punch or finishing nail in about 5 seconds if need be.

Large capacity REMOVABLE magazines were deemed 'Illegal'.
This was very easily circumvented by using a NON-Detachable magazine that still loaded from the top with stripper clips.

Many people in California, Oregon and Washington state found out the hard way, but some of the smarter guys plugged the gas tube and added an upper receiver housing that used a left side bolt handle to charge the weapon after each round, and that was legal so they got to keep their rifles when most of the 'Sheep' turned theirs in.

There were also a couple of 'Pump Action' forearm makers that converted the AR-15 over to pump action, and since it was no longer an 'Automatic Weapon', they stayed legal.
------------------------------

As for AR-15 rifles, there are tons of web sites that will have about every kind of information you can think of, (Correct & factual, or not!)

AR-15 rifles are fun to shoot, reasonably reliable and accurate out of the box.
They can be hard to clean, but they are easy to tune and upgrade for accuracy.
They usually shoot a common caliber, but don't confuse .223 Remington with 5.56MM NATO chamberings!

The 5.56mm round is dimensionally very similar to the .223 Rem round, and it will load in place of the NATO round, but it uses a type of powder that burns faster and will often jam the action of a rifle chambered for .223 Rem.

Also remember that laws can change very quickly, and a good quality AR-15 rifle being a fairly expensive purchase, you should consider that carefully before buying.
With over 75% of GUN OWNERS saying they would support an 'Assault Weapons Ban', that is a pretty large voting block that can change things very quickly!

Last edited by AR Hammer; 10-08-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Make PERFECT sense to me!!