M16 bolt carriers that I can actually buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > M16 bolt carriers that I can actually buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default M16 bolt carriers that I can actually buy?

I'd like to get a bolt carrier with more mass on the rear of the carrier. I really want the DPMS M16 carrier. What would I need to do to get one (besides the obvious answer of ordering it)? It will be installed in a semi-auto rifle. As far as I've heard, it's legal to have the M16 carrier in a semi-auto rifle, so long as it doesn't function in full auto. Somehow the extra mass in the rear makes it "easier" to convert, but I don't see how. I just want the extra mass for recoil damping.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes it's legal to run a full auto bcg in your rifle. In stock at PSA.....http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html, also check joeboboutfitters.com for Spikes bcg's, or aimsurplus.com for Spikes or Daniel Defense.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Don't know exactly what you're asking... do you want to buy a complete DPMS and have them upgrade the BCG? Why not set your sights higher and get a buy a better quality AR in the first place.

Anyway, yes you can legally buy the M16 carrier and use it in a semiauto AR. BATF tends to be interested in FA parts in the lower, not the upper however if your rifle were to malfunction and double who knows what could be the result. I don't worry about that since I carefully test trigger groups I install.

As of last night PSA M16 BCGs were in stock and only $140.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Yes it's legal to run a full auto bcg in your rifle. In stock at PSA.....http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html, also check joeboboutfitters.com for Spikes bcg's, or aimsurplus.com for Spikes or Daniel Defense.
I noticed a lot of site inventories are out of stock on almost all auto bcg's. Are people just buying them up like crazy or something? Or do they not make that many to begin with?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Mil spec BCG, $129.97 shipped.

https://www.twsarms.com/product/ar-15-m16-bolt-carrier-group-phosphate/

Complete Mil-Spec assembly with bolt, bolt carrier, and firing pin ready to drop into the rifle or carbine upper of your choice. MPI & HP tested for quality and features a shot-peened bolt for increased surface strength and durability, and an extractor booster to ensure reliable cycling during rapid semi-auto or full-auto fire. Each assembly is magnetic particle inspection tested to ensure it’s free from imperfections that can lead to premature failures. Properly staked gas key prevents gas leakage that can lead to short stroking. M16-style carrier on the black phosphate model has full-length shroud for tripping auto sear, so this carrier may be installed on full-auto law enforcement and military rifles. Carrier is chrome lined for smooth cycling and resistance to wear from hot combustion gases for years of dependable service

Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Slog,

Yes you can run it in a semi rifle. And M&A Parts of Lake Zurich IL. can provide you with most any AR Part you need. They have a large warehouse full of parts. *Excluding Receivers. Go for It!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #7

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

BCGs have run short off and on all year. You just have to keep looking. Better jump on the PSA if you want one because they've been out of stock quite a while until the last few days.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Don't know exactly what you're asking... do you want to buy a complete DPMS and have them upgrade the BCG? Why not set your sights higher and get a buy a better quality AR in the first place.
DPMS makes an M16 carrier. I'm sure the Spike's is probably higher quality. Not sure about the staking or the firing pin housing covers. The DPMS has good staking and the cover goes the complete length of the firing pin. Don't want the bolt itself. Looking to put an S&W bolt in it. And I'm not looking to stake the key myself.

Last edited by slog; 10-02-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 64

For everyones information. BCM BCGs are back in stock!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Core 15 has them in stock too, $120. http://core15.com/products/specials.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vm j_color_plus.tpl&product_id=116&category_id=27

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.