Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > m16 bcg?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default m16 bcg?

Are there adverse effects when using a m16 bolt carrier group in a semi auto ar15

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

No. Just refers to the carrier shroud being full profile. Little heavier and I guess supposed to last longer.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 223 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiabe1 View Post
Are there adverse effects when using a m16 bolt carrier group in a semi auto ar15
Nope.

Just a heavier, hardier option that can slow down the cyclying just enough to smooth things out a bit, reduce wear, and promote faster and more controlled follow-up shots...especially when parlayed with a mid-length gas system.

Don't buy a good BCG. Buy a great one. Why? Because it's a truly critical part, and they happen to be abundant and affordable at the moment. When on sale (frequently of late), you can get a really excellent one (not the 8620) from PSA for $100-150.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

The bcg is the heart of the ar platform. I use bcm bcg for just about everything. An m16 style carrier is a plus as it brings it closer to performing as designed. Lightening the carrier group as you find in low mass or civilian cut carriers can cause fail to feed from not having enough mass to forcefully strip ammunition from the magazine or cycle so fast it can cause magazine feed issues because the mag spring may nit be able to keep up.

Highly recommend m16 carriers. Less of a head ache to diagnose and setup since all you need is to find milspec springs buffers etc to go with

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

okdonk Likes This 
Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 937

I also only use full M16 carriers. Like JonM said, why not go with what the design originally calls for, to aid in reliable operation. The only exception I can think of is the old Colt lower receiver with a steel block that requires a half moon carrier.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #6

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

To be redundant, M16 carriers help balance the action as their added weight reduces (you won't notice it) the cyclic rate of fire. Also, more contact surface makes for a smoother action altogether. Like others, all I use are M16 carriers. They also are suppose to negate the carrier tilt (I think that is an urban legend because I haven't seen any evidence of it) in piston systems. The advantage is more prevalent in shorter barrel AR's, as their cyclic rate of fire is higher than their 20 inch barrel counterpart. I can't think of one mechanical disadvantage to having an M16 carrier. As long as you don't have any full auto fire control parts, you shouldn't run into any issues with the ATF.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

If you have a Colt with the lower receiver block, you cannot use the M-16 carrier w/o milling the carrier or block.

Current trend is toward the heavier M-16 carriers. Weight gain is small. If you already have a Semi-Auto carrier, save a hundred bucks and just get a heavier buffer. Most will never need the Auto carrier and a heavy buffer will be fine.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #8

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you have a Colt with the lower receiver block, you cannot use the M-16 carrier w/o milling the carrier or block.

Current trend is toward the heavier M-16 carriers. Weight gain is small. If you already have a Semi-Auto carrier, save a hundred bucks and just get a heavier buffer. Most will never need the Auto carrier and a heavy buffer will be fine.
Question Robocop:
As I am not familiar with the different buffer weights, is there any disadvantage to using the heavier buffer along with an M16 carrier? My general practice is to just buy the buttstock assembly with the buffer and buffer tube included, so I usually don't concern myself with different buffer weights, but in the event it became an issue, I want to have as much knowledge as possible.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 953 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 392

A M-16 bolt carrier in a semi-auto AR-15 makes the operation a tad smoother because the extra weight helps to retard the unlocking of the bolt (which is what makes the operation smoother) a little bit. There are no adverse affects from running a M-16 bolt in a semi-auto AR-15 that I know of, apart from arbitrary, as in made-up, legal issues that may arise in certain parts of the country that are run by sissy liberal bed wetters.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #10

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
... As I am not familiar with the different buffer weights, is there any disadvantage to using the heavier buffer along with an M16 carrier? My general practice is to just buy the buttstock assembly with the buffer and buffer tube included, so I usually don't concern myself with different buffer weights, but in the event it became an issue, I want to have as much knowledge as possible.
The main problem of a heavy buffer is that lower power ammo may not cycle reliably or lock the bolt back on the last shot. A 16" barrel with carbine length gas and M16 carrier probably will work well with the H2 buffer, maybe even the H3 if way overgassed. If midlength gas then the H buffer likely is ideal, some work with H2. Most carbines come with the standard weight buffer but it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit with a heavier buffer.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.