Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   m&p 15 sport (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/m-p-15-sport-67000/)

Subcomp9 06-24-2012 03:54 AM

m&p 15 sport

What does everyone think about the m&p and is it necessary to spend the extra money on a colt or other high dollar ar

connectegr 06-24-2012 04:00 AM

The standard response... what is the intended purpose?

S&W makes good products. I have never shot one of their AR's. Spend a week on this forum and you will have a list of choices.

MikeJK 06-24-2012 05:13 AM

The sports a nice entry level range gun.

buffalolake 06-24-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

The sports a nice entry level range gun.
By entry level he means entry level to Black Rifle Disease

okdonk 06-24-2012 07:50 AM

$600-700 price range without forward assist and ejection door, i can live with that.

Subcomp9 06-24-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk
$600-700 price range without forward assist and ejection door, i can live with that.

OK I know I'm going to catch so much hell for asking this question but what is forward assist

JonM 06-24-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subcomp9 (Post 847515)
OK I know I'm going to catch so much hell for asking this question but what is forward assist

What it was originally for was to force a reluctant cartridge into the chamber. Since there is no bolt handle like on a garand or m1a some folks thought that the m16 needed a way to jam shells into a chamber.

If you have a failure to fully chamber a round do NOT use the forward assist. Eject the round and use a fresh one. Inspect the chamber and bore for blockage. This is true of any autoloader pistol or rifle. Out of spec ammo can cause fail to chamber again do not use the assist eject the round inspect chamber.

Cshooter 06-24-2012 03:38 PM

I have been looking for one of these, but it seems everyone is out of stock.

dabbson 06-24-2012 05:00 PM

I just picked my s&w mp 15 sport an it's my first ar and I love it I didn't need the forward assist or the dust cover. It's shoots really well

hawkguy 06-24-2012 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cshooter (Post 847762)
I have been looking for one of these, but it seems everyone is out of stock.

i'm just getting into AR's, so i'm no expert. but i recently purchased the M&P sport and i have had great experiences so far.

i put a cheap(ish) red dot on it & its getting 1.5 groups at 50 (which is good for ME with no magnification). i have somewhere around 400 rounds through it with no failures so far. don't miss the forward assist or dust cover AT ALL.

the one thing i have noticed is, without a heat shield in the hand guard, it can get HOT. but you can just slap on a forward grip or replace the hand guard, so its really no big deal imo.

and i agree, they are hard to find. i had saved my pennies and went looking. academy did not have one in the state of texas....:eek:. everywhere online was sold out. i had to go to cabelas and pay $20 more. but the worst part was, had i not called to hold the gun, it would have been sold before i got there (within an hour). :eek: