Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   M&p 15-22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/m-p-15-22-a-51508/)

JonM 11-10-2011 01:32 AM

M&p 15-22

looking at getting one of those pink talo edition m&p 15-22s for use with a suppressor. anyone got any bad points about the mp??

FCross7 11-10-2011 01:35 AM

I'm sure you know, and it's really not even be a bad point at all, but the receivers are polymer.

I was looking at getting one to use for some supplemental AR training. The only issue I have is that they are polymer. I don't necessarily mind that they are polymer, it's just that they are too light for the purpose I would use them for. I want my .22 trainer to be as close to my actual rifle as possible, and the weight is just too light for me.

-Fred

Quentin 11-10-2011 01:44 AM

The M&P15-22 is a great buy when you can hit a sale (around $400 which I haven't seen lately). I went with the heavier metal Colt/Walther and love it but either rifle is worth having. The S&W operates much like a real AR and uses standard trigger group components which is an advantage over the Colt. The Colt weighs the same as a true M4 or M16. Both are fussy with certain ammo like many .22lrs. The Colt mag is 30rds, S&W is 25 and both are proprietary.

FCross7 11-10-2011 01:52 AM

I'm looking at picking up the .22lr dedicated upper from tactical solutions sometime in the future, and just using the same lower I have now for the time being, and maybe building a lower for it at some point down the road.

-Fred

Quentin 11-10-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 623790)
I'm looking at picking up the .22lr dedicated upper from tactical solutions sometime in the future, and just using the same lower I have now for the time being, and maybe building a lower for it at some point down the road.

-Fred

I think that's the best of both worlds and later if you want you can build another lower or even go with a Plum Crazy lower for peanuts.

FCross7 11-10-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 623794)
I think that's the best of both worlds and later if you want you can build another lower or even go with a Plum Crazy lower for peanuts.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I would build it very similar to my actual rifle, and hopefully it will come in at the same weight so I can get some good practice with moving, target acquisition, target transition and the likes, but without breaking the bank.

Plus it would be a good rifle to get non-shooters into the sport. Whenever I take a new shooter shooting, I always start them on the 10/22. They don't understand how important it is for them to learn fundamentals with a rifle like this, and it's not a "cool looking" rifle, so sometimes they don't enjoy it as much. With some like an AR chambered in .22, they would be shooting a rifle that could be more physically appealing, but also be helping them pick up the fundamentals without creating any bad habits in relation to recoil.

-Fred

JonM 11-10-2011 02:35 AM

didnt know the upper was a polymer too. never held one just seen em. never heard anything really negative either other than weight not being the same. nothing bad related to function.

the m&p comes in pink (huge plus) and the mags have a easy load button.

mjkeat 11-10-2011 02:27 PM

Theentire M&P15-22 is poly but I wouldn't be bothered by it. I have a CMMG dedicated upper which I like but swapped for a 15-22 w/ a guy at the range so we could see how the other felt in comparison. The 15-22 was really nice.

If I had it to do over again I would probably end up w/ a M&P15-22.

Jon12312 11-10-2011 02:36 PM

For a .22 AR I would go with the (Colt umarex M4 ops). It can come with full R.I.S, it uses a blowback system, and what I like most about it is that it has a FULL METAL BODY!

JonM 11-11-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon12312 (Post 624153)
For a .22 AR I would go with the (Colt umarex M4 ops). It can come with full R.I.S, it uses a blowback system, and what I like most about it is that it has a FULL METAL BODY!

thanks but im not a fan of the umarex model. the ones ive seen dont have bolt hold open and dont follow the ar15 format close enough.

just got a call from my lgs he has this model on the way at 499$

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...1051_01_lg.jpg

should be here by wednesday.

taking it out and giving it a workout with the silencerco sparrow suppressor