M-4 failure - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

M-4 failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3691 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Default Catastrophic AR-15 Event

Scobie, Dillinger,Quentin[ATTACH][/ATTACH] and friends! Here is pictures of the worse catastrophic event I have ever witnessed! Happened last year. Cause: Barrel Obstruction Issue: Cleaning Patch remaining in bore.

catastrophic-ar-15-event-picture-1.jpg   catstrophic-ar-15-event-picture-2.jpg  

Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #22

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around how this happened, But I don't understand the term "telescoping"
CRAZY none the less
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Wow, that's amazing! Glad he wasn't hurt, but I don't get "telescoping" either. Enlighten us.
Probably because its referred to by another term, "bullet setback" or push back when the bullet engages the lands at battery.

Just a head's up on a concern with the Georgia Arms 460 Rowland cartridge.

Once chambered, fire the round or discard it!

Here's the Warning included in the CCG 460 Kit:

If you load a round into the chamber....
  • Shoot it
  • Dispose of it
A possible consequence of rechambering the same round multiple times is shortening the overall length of the ammunition to potentially dangerous pressure levels.

This is the bullet setback that a single chambering in Fenrir caused:

M-4 failure - AR-15 Discussion

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3691 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

As Cane has referred to in his above post. In the case of my post the officer was being rushed to get back on the line after lunch break while cleaning. He ran one last patch through the bore after lunch break. He thought it had fallen on the ground, but evidently the cleaning rod had pulled it back through the bore and dropped it just prior to falling out of the chamber area at the rear of the weapon according to indicators. The *First Round he fired caused the above catastrophic result! It was an obvious assumption that when the bullet came into contact with the patch just out of the chamber area it also pushed the bullet back into the case causing even more excessive pressure and Walla! BOOOOOM! Upon later investigation there was not patch on the floor.The receiver above is just how it ended up. Nothing was changed.
The officer received cuts but no serious injury. Thank God for T-6 Aluminum Receivers and the AR Design! If it had been a steel machined receiver I would only guess what might have happened. This should be a CAUTION to all!

Old 07-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

AR15/M16 are actually tough as hell thanks to the rotary bolt. it holds most of the force in front of the shooter as opposed to blowing parts and pieces to the rear. this means most of the force is expended in the strongest area when AK go kaboom the shooter is often seriously injured.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #25

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

From all of the reports I hear from deploying Soldiers and Marines, and this incident, I am thoroughly convinced that if I have a malfunction, I am just going to eject the round and not try to use the forward assist. If it won't fire, I will clear the weapon and fix it. If the round is bad, then I will get rid of it. If the weapon is broke, I will fix it. Playing with my AR is not worth getting seriously injured or killed over. Fact is, I am going to start looking at uppers without the FA so it will remove the temptation to use it.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #26

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would concur that avoiding the use of the forward assist in anything other than an emergency situation might be warranted except:

In a hunting environment, it is handy to charge your rifle in a manner that is less noisy than letting the charging handle fly. I don't see the need to avoid an upper that has a FA altogether.

For those of us that use semiautomatic pistols for self defense, bullet setback can certainly become a problem if you are loading and unloading frequently. I make a habit of segregating any round I have chambered more than twice, and give it a good look-over even then.

Last edited by treehugger49; 07-15-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
I would concur that avoiding the use of the forward assist in anything other than an emergency situation might be warranted except:

In a hunting environment, it is handy to charge your rifle in a manner that is less noisy than letting the charging handle fly. I don't see the need to avoid an upper that has a FA altogether.
treehugger,
Everyone has to make their own decision, and it is your call on whether to use the FA. I have personally seen a weapon that had an accidental discharge (AD) when the round didn't go in exactly straight, and the shooter hit the forward assist. Wasn't pretty. I built my own AR's, and so far I haven't had to use the F/A on any of mine, and after about 9000 rounds each, the only malfunctions I have had were ammo related, so I personally beleive that there are a lot of poorly constructed guns out there. In my opinion, if you have to use the F/A, the weapon is broke.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #28

Wow. That is bad. Does his RRA made by milspec standard? he should look into BCM or DD upper for a new upper.

Last edited by vietboy1st; 07-15-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
From all of the reports I hear from deploying Soldiers and Marines, and this incident, I am thoroughly convinced that if I have a malfunction, I am just going to eject the round and not try to use the forward assist. If it won't fire, I will clear the weapon and fix it. If the round is bad, then I will get rid of it. If the weapon is broke, I will fix it. Playing with my AR is not worth getting seriously injured or killed over. Fact is, I am going to start looking at uppers without the FA so it will remove the temptation to use it.
just remove the FA plunger and grind or dremel the pawl off the FA. problem solved. cant be accidently used. ive personally never used the FA knob on my rifles. grew up from the age of 18 with a colt sp1 no FA to use. so its just not in my reflex to use it. then the army drilled it into me and i still find myself trying to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietboy1st View Post
Wow. That is bad. Does his RRA made by milspec standard? he should look into BCM or DD upper for a new upper.
bcm and dd arent any better than the rra uppers. the problem wasnt a quality of gun issue. kabooms in AR15 are pretty much 100% ammo issues. same ammo same problem the bcm/dd upper would be in the same pieces as the rra
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just remove the FA plunger and grind or dremel the pawl off the FA. problem solved. cant be accidently used. ive personally never used the FA knob on my rifles. grew up from the age of 18 with a colt sp1 no FA to use. so its just not in my reflex to use it. then the army drilled it into me and i still find myself trying to use it.

bcm and dd arent any better than the rra uppers. the problem wasnt a quality of gun issue. kabooms in AR15 are pretty much 100% ammo issues. same ammo same problem the bcm/dd upper would be in the same pieces as the rra
Ahh, I would say about 98% ammo issues. Water in the gas tube has done it a few times, and one or two recorded occasions has been the magazine spring, followed by the F/A. SP1 is a good rifle. Then came the attack of the clones. I digress. F/A is a waste of metal. I did see pics of a kaboom at BNCOC that was attributed to the F/A. Ultimately was blamed on weak mag spring, and bolt extractor didn't grab round right, so it went into the chamber cocked, and Soldier used forward assist to try to push it in, and kaboom. Drill Sergeants still use cold war training, and it didn't work then, and still doesn't work. Damn, I still keep going off the deep end. Anyway, to everyone, as expensive as ammo is now, still not worth your life. Pretend the F/A doesn't exist, and eject the round instead of using the forward assist.