Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lwrc or Daniels Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by strix View Post
No need to be annoyed, I'm asking things that may sound dumb to someone like your self that knows better then me, I'm looking to people like your self to help so I'm not so lost. I never came on here saying I'm the AR-15 king I said I don't know much at all
I'm not even close to the most knowledgeable here on the AR platform. I do know a fair amount after owning a few and carrying the M16 in Vietnam, but again not even close to the most knowledgeable. And it's not about your being new to and learning the platform though I'm glad you're here doing just that. God knows we need all the savvy gunowning citizens we can recruit these days!

All I'm saying is most people here take the time to be clear in their writing and I for one expect the same courtesy from others, especially new people wanting to learn. What's the big deal, it doesn't take that much extra time.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 670 Times on 344 Posts

I'll answer the question in car terms. A standard AR is the same as a standard corvette with an automatic transmission, a high end piston AR is equal to a vette with the magnetic ride control. A top tier AR is equal to a Z51 with the brembo brake package. Both the latter are fantastic but the old fashion tried and true has now been tuned almost to the point of perfection.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
I'll answer the question in car terms. A standard AR is the same as a standard corvette with an automatic transmission, a high end piston AR is equal to a vette with the magnetic ride control. A top tier AR is equal to a Z51 with the brembo brake package. Both the latter are fantastic but the old fashion tried and true has now been tuned almost to the point of perfection.
Actually a standard milspec AR is more like a good jeep. Cheap, tough and maneuverable. Compared to the cars you mentioned, which one after a weekend of off road beating would you expect to perform as advertised!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #44

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Jeez you are all wrong.

The AK is more like a old bare bones jeep. The AR is a luxury SUV. Way more comfortable, and pretty and just as ready for some fun in the mud!

Last edited by AgentTikki; 11-27-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #45

Can't argue with that, AT! I knew when I said off road that would get a rise out of an AK zombie!

______

Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #46

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The only thing I can add to what already has been said here is: except for the short barrel rifle a piston doesn't add much to the AR platform unless you like white glove inspections.

Now for the harsh environment of SBR function there are advantages to the AR piston plus the extra weight isn't as much a factor with the light, maneuverable barrel. For 14.5" and longer barrels, DI is hard to beat and is what the AR was designed to use.

Your turn, what is it about DI ARs that you don't like, strix?
Q I wouldnt even use one for a SBR , if its built right a DI works fine even with a barrel as short at 7.5" I have run everything from good match grade ammo to cheap crap, wolf and Tula thru my 7.5" SBR and it runs everything fine . Fine tuning the SBR to run is the most important thing. The piston seems like a crutch to get you past a problem on a DI SBR

Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Q I wouldnt even use one for a SBR , if its built right a DI works fine even with a barrel as short at 7.5" I have run everything from good match grade ammo to cheap crap, wolf and Tula thru my 7.5" SBR and it runs everything fine . Fine tuning the SBR to run is the most important thing. The piston seems like a crutch to get you past a problem on a DI SBR
Very true, purehavoc. I was just thinking a gas regulator might help quick tune an SBR but there's no doubt the are many shortie DIs out there that run right. Quality components make all the difference and prove that DI is here to stay. I do not foresee a piston AR in my future (unless you want to call the BCG a piston).

______

fsted2a Likes This