Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lubrication

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Lubrication

I've often heard that AR-15s require more lubrication than other rifles, but can's seem to find details. I'm having a 5.56/.223 Bushmaster lower being built up for me, my first AR. Can anyone enlighten me on this? My humble apologies if this has been discussed before.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've run all of mine fairly dry. I only used a light coat of Breakfree CLP on the bolt and carrier, a light coat on the buffer and and a drop on the trigger goodies and sear.

When in doubt, consult your owner's manual, or follow the recommendations of your 'smith.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We use a type of semi-solid grease that Brett came up with on the hammer and trigger contacts and then a thing coating on the BCG.

Outside of that, a good cleaning from range use and you are good to go.

I don't think the weapon takes an "excessive" amout of anything, though that is the rumor, except for ammo.

JD

Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The direct impingement gas system has a propensity to dry out the bolt carrier group faster than a gas piston system. Good dry lubes overcome this to a certain degree because there is no oil to "blow out".
It should take several hundred rounds to blow out the oil and require touch up. YMMV

Old 01-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Mine were so lubed it was running out the bottom the holes and anyother place (US ARMY). If I get one now I will use nothing but Wilson Combat Moly grease.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I've run all of mine fairly dry. I only used a light coat of Breakfree CLP on the bolt and carrier
Coat the bolt and carrier, with a decent amount of lube (Slip2000, Machine Gunners Lube, Mili-Tech 1), but you do not want it driping. As previosly stated the gas burns off the lube, but if you run it dry it will devolop FTF, FTE issues in a few hundred rounds.

-DM-