Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lubing my new AR.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nope gun oil,, the automotive industry stole the formula and now use it for cars.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 AM   #12

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Nope gun oil,, the automotive industry stole the formula and now use it for cars.
Spoken for truth...guns been around lot longer than cars.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #13

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone2 View Post
ARE you talking about car oil
Yes!

I'm as old-school as anyone here and if Rem-Oil isn't on my bench I need to find a 24hr sporting goods store.

With that said, Mobil 1.

Do you guys think the gun industry worked/spent as much time/$ finding a lube for a hot, carbon-deposited environment than the auto guys do for a number of reasons?

Here's what you do, get a bunch of those 1/2 oz needle bottles. Buy a quart of Mobil 1 and fill the bottles. Now hand them out to your shooting buddies and tell them to try out this new M4 lube.

I'll bet everyone will be back asking where they can buy this stuff! And the ones that don't come back don't shoot enough to see how well this stuff works.

Tell them you're the distributor and can get it cheap if they want it without labels.

Sell it at the same price they spend on their current lube. You will make money hand over fist on that deal!

Think about that! We buy a little 1oz bottle of Rem-Oil for $2+

Remington Rem Oil Gun Oil 1 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA - $2.09

$2 oz X 32 ozs = $64 qt (What's a qt of Mobile 1 go for?)

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30 (1-Quart) - $6.29

Or just tell them about it like we told you.

Another auto oil, gun lube application:

Royal Purple Gun Oil

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cane just ruined my retirement plan, now everyone will be selling Mobile One for $2 an ounce! I use SAE 0-20, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if I tried. I belong to an H&K forum that is sponsered by the company--there was a post from a guy talking about the idiots that use motor oil on their guns and how stupid they are. I tried to post a response and say that I, in addition to some very accomplished shooting friends, have used it for a long time with superb results, but H&K wouldn't post it. They must sell their own gun oil for $4 an ounce...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Cane just ruined my retirement plan, now everyone will be selling Mobile One for $2 an ounce! I use SAE 0-20, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if I tried. I belong to an H&K forum that is sponsered by the company--there was a post from a guy talking about the idiots that use motor oil on their guns and how stupid they are. I tried to post a response and say that I, in addition to some very accomplished shooting friends, have used it for a long time with superb results, but H&K wouldn't post it. They must sell their own gun oil for $4 an ounce...
Did you PM him?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #16

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Cane just ruined my retirement plan, now everyone will be selling Mobile One for $2 an ounce! I use SAE 0-20, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if I tried.
Let me tell you a little "insider secret" about engine oil viscosity ratings.

Most of my boating friends tell me that they buy only straight weight oil (30 or 40) for their boat engines.

I tried to explain that the rating is only a guideline for the manufactures labeling. What is the one thing that makes mass production cost effective? A single or few part numbers produced, right?

When the oil company sells its motor oil and a request comes in for 10,000 gallons of straight 40 weight labeled quarts they go to the million gallon tank of 10W40 and draw off the 10K gallons for the customer.

As long as the oil in the 40W labeled container has oil of 40W viscosity it's legal to sell it as 40W. (Even if it's multi-weight)

So the next time you buy engine oil, find the cheapest that has the weight rating you are looking for.

Missileman, for your purchase of SAE 0W20, you are probably buying an actual 0W40 oil labeled 0W20.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-17-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #17

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

That’s Bull Pucky!! I say Missileman post the H&K web site and we all go over there and pull a Pirate Raid and flood them with post about Mobil One oil…

ARRRRRRGGGGGGG,,, Who’s with me….

Old 03-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Did you PM him?
Nope, guess I should. I've only posted a couple times, and they always hold posts for review before putting them on the site, so I was just waiting for it to clear, but it never did. I may be jumping to conclusions that they won't post it--it could be lost in cyber space, I suppose--but other posts I've submitted since then (different topics) have been posted...

Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Missileman, for your purchase of SAE 0W20, you are probably buying an actual 0W40 oil labeled 0W20.
You're probably right, especially with synthetic oils--I believe I read where Mobile only put out viscosity ratings on their synthetics because consumers won't buy the oil unless it says exactly what their service manual calls for.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Nope, guess I should. I've only posted a couple times, and they always hold posts for review before putting them on the site, so I was just waiting for it to clear, but it never did. I may be jumping to conclusions that they won't post it--it could be lost in cyber space, I suppose--but other posts I've submitted since then (different topics) have been posted...
I would pm the fella and see where that takes you. If you get a nasty back then it most likely means that H&K agrees with this fella's post and would not accept your views. Personally, I'm open to most anything coming from folks that know more than me but then again, I also use WD-40. I use it for curing the blueing finishes that I do.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"