Lube - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
No offense woody, but i don't know how you have resisted the urge to have Rudolph's head filled in beside his nose there.
I was gonna go with a ying yang

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
I was gonna go with a ying yang
IMO, this would make an excellent poll question. You seem pretty "thick skinned" about the situation at least.
Ying Yang, rudolf, balloon, purdy flower?

Hang in there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Like said before, anything by Slip. I also use a general grease.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

IMO, this would make an excellent poll question. You seem pretty "thick skinned" about the situation at least.
Ying Yang, rudolf, balloon, purdy flower?

Hang in there.
I was in the army for five years i have to be thick skinned

Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #15

FrogLube. Nuff said.

Did you order any yet MJ?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6542 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 6177

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Like said before, anything by Slip. I also use a general grease.

MJ, Ever try "Shooter's Choice" grease? The pink grease in the plastic syringe.

It's the only grease I use anymore. Doesn't run at 120 degrees, and doesn't gum up at -40.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #17

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
I was in the army for five years i have to be thick skinned
18 now, going on 20.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
woody63m,

If I may ask, what the hell is your avatar? It looks like an infected cyst??

As far as the topic at hand, this is all I use to lubricate any and all of my firearms. I have never had a rust or lubrication related issue in over 40 years.
What do you use the different kinds for ?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
What do you use the different kinds for ?
I use Mobil 1 Motor Oil, Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I will sometimes use a small amount of STP.

Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what a Castrol Rep told me your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil with an emulsifier added to it. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases".

Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! An even better product is the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease I have in the photo. It comes in a 1 pound tub for around $6.00. If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get the ones shown at Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. If you don't see them hanging on "J Hooks" near the pharmacy, just ask the pharmacist.

Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 10W-40 or the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube has an even higher viscosity that works well on guns that tend to be run at higher temperatures like AR-15's and AK-47's. It comes in a 75W-140 Grade. ATF, (not shown), is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. I'm not a believer of these so called "dry lubes". 40+ years of shooting has taught me one very simple fact. If I can see oil on my firearms, I know I won't be seeing any rust.

All of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $20.00, and will last the average shooter for years, if not a lifetime. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I use Mobil 1 Motor Oil, Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I will sometimes use a small amount of STP.

Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what a Castrol Rep told me your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil with an emulsifier added to it. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases".

Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! An even better product is the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease I have in the photo. It comes in a 1 pound tub for around $6.00. If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get the ones shown at Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot. If you don't see them hanging on "J Hooks" near the pharmacy, just ask the pharmacist.

Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 10W-40 or the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube has an even higher viscosity that works well on guns that tend to be run at higher temperatures like AR-15's and AK-47's. It comes in a 75W-140 Grade. ATF, (not shown), is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. I'm not a believer of these so called "dry lubes". 40+ years of shooting has taught me one very simple fact. If I can see oil on my firearms, I know I won't be seeing any rust.

All of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $20.00, and will last the average shooter for years, if not a lifetime. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer.
I would agree with just about everything you said when comparing Mobil 1 products to just about every gun specific lube with one exception, and that is Frog Lube.

I used a combo of Mobil 1 and High Temp bearing grease for a while with excellent results, but after I did a bit of reading on Frog Lube, I decided to give it a try.

I used to use some of the other gun oil back in the day, but had problems with them burning off of my AR, and drying up in everything else, which is when I switched to the bearing grease in my AR and for slide rails, and Mobil 1 for everything else.

I got my tub of Frog Lube about 3 weeks ago, and immediately used it to clean and lube both my AR and my Glock 19, which is my EDC gun. About a week and a half later, I went to the range and shot both. 250 rounds through the Glock and 200 rounds of ammo that I won't mention for reasons of controversy. Prior to shooting both I did a quick field strip to check the status of the Frog Lube. It hadn't dried up or run, which was a good sign.

I shot the 250 rounds of 9mm, then headed over to the rifle range and loaded up the 3 mags I brought with me. I then proceeded to shoot the 200 rounds through my AR as fast as I could shoot the mags empty, reload and go again. Needless to say, the gun got VERY hot. Even the hand guard was too hot for me to hold (12 inch Samson Evo). Took both guns home for a cleaning, and was amazed. Regardless of the extreme heat the AR saw, it looked as if none of the lube had burned off, which was good, but the most amazing thing was that the BCG just wiped clean. Even the boat tail of the bolt took no scrubbing. A simple wipe with a micro-fiber cloth and almost all traces of carbon were gone.

After the cleaning, I lubed everything up heavily with the Frog Lube, buffer and spring got a very light coat, and I have never felt an AR with such a smooth action. If it continues to work the way it has so far which I imagine it will, I'll be ordering a few of the large tubs.

It really is some crazy stuff. It's also green and food-grade if that sort of thing matters to you. Brownells and MidwayUSA both carry it. One of them has a 1 oz. tub for very cheap, and I would recommend you try it. You may be as impressed as I was.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"