Lowers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have to be honest, this tale has been beat to death.

A lower receiver is pretty much a housing to keep all your FCG parts in tight formation.

Outside of that, one is as good as the next, which as good as the shiny one or the really sexy one over there.

As long as you aren't buying it from "Cleetus' Rib Shack and AR Warehouse", chances are you will be getting one you can work with.

With all the components that go into an AR build, less than 1% of the overall accuracy is going to be directed related to the lower receiver unless the thing is made out of cardboard glued together with Elmer's wood glue.

You don't even need the damn thing to actually fire an assemble upper. It certainly makes it safer and easier, but you can bolt a loaded upper in a vise and hit the firing pin with a hammer & punch if you HAD to do so.

Find one you like, in the price you can afford, and concentrate on getting quality components to put in it. That is where the accuracy/reliability is going to be critical and pay you back in field function.

JD

Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #12

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Forged Aluminum and Mil.-Spec. is all you need to look for. After that it becomes a matter of which company's roll-mark you like best. Stag, Armalite and of course Spike's are some of the more popular ones. $85 -$135 out the door is a pretty normal price, but Palmetto State and others have had some great sales recently for around $50 recently.

The parts that go into the lower are more important than the shell of aluminum that holds them.

BTW, aluminum billet lowers are nice, but are very expensive for most people's needs.
My suggestion is to take a milspec mag with you when you purchase your lower. If it doesn't go in smoothly, not too tight, not loose, don't buy it. It is a bit of aggravation trying to widen the mag well enough to make quick mag changes, and once it is too wide, there is no tightening it up. I prefer Armalite or Colt for that reason. Little more expensive, but something I don't have to worry about.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #13

Likes Given: 4

I'm with ya Quentin... wary, but for $125, I'm incredibly curious. Hell, I'm just a paper-puncher, so if it fell apart the only life at stake would be that zombie with the eye-ball pizza. Interesting you bring up the .22 upper. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I agree 100%.

Myself, I'm wary of the PlumCrazy. I think that's taking bottom-feeding a little too low. Maybe ok for a 22LR upper though.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's good to see you back, JD!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #15

Quote:
I agree 100%.

Myself, I'm wary of the PlumCrazy. I think that's taking bottom-feeding a little too low. Maybe ok for a 22LR upper though.
Yeah, there are a couple out there that wouldn't be my first choice. Got one had "Armscorp" on it. It was a stripped lower that had the FCG area that was milspec in every sense of the word except for the final pin hole, if you get my drift, which is why he sold out. Other than that, the quality control was bad. Mag well was too tight, and the buffer tube threads weren't CNC'd. Just tapped, which meant some carbine buttstocks wouldn't work as they would be at an angle when the tube covered the buffer detente. I sold it to a guy who had the equipment to hone the mag well out (at a nice profit).

Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #16

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
I agree 100%.

To each there own!

I have had this Plum Crazy lower for about 5 months and I have put it through a lot of torture, I have over 1000 rds through it & it keeps on chugging. I expected it to break or wear until it was unshootable but it has held it's own. In every thing I done to it, I have knocked it over (when it was leaning against the shooting table) , it fell off the shooting table once, I have soaked it with gun cleaner, I wiped it off with a rag full of acetone, I over oiled it that just made the trigger feel gritty after shooting a bunch of ammo, a quick spray with gun cleaner fixed that.
Other than taking it out and beating it with a hammer that even a Aluminum Mil-Spec lower couldn't handle, it has proven to be a solid lower!
I'm not saying that I would take it to war if I was going, but it is solid as far as the recreational shooter (plinker) is concerned it looks like it will fill the need of being a good lower for the hobby shooter at $119.99 complete ready to shoot.

All I'm saying is "Don't Knock it if you haven't tried it" they made a believer out of me.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #17

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Good to hear it's worked out well for you 7.62 Man! And for that price you're not out much money if it doesn't last a decade. And even if the plastic internals give out I hear you can put a standard LPK in the PC.

I do think by the time you add in a transfer fee and shipping the price creeps up quite a bit and since we're talking the serialized "firearm" part of an AR build, I'd rather kick in a little more to get a sure thing that should last a lifetime like most other firearms. No doubt polymer handguns over the last 30 years have proved such a frame can last but this is still pretty new stuff in an AR. Just sign me "old and conservative"!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Good to hear it's worked out well for you 7.62 Man! And for that price you're not out much money if it doesn't last a decade. And even if the plastic internals give out I hear you can put a standard LPK in the PC.

I do think by the time you add in a transfer fee and shipping the price creeps up quite a bit and since we're talking the serialized "firearm" part of an AR build, I'd rather kick in a little more to get a sure thing that should last a lifetime like most other firearms. No doubt polymer handguns over the last 30 years have proved such a frame can last but this is still pretty new stuff in an AR. Just sign me "old and conservative"!
A few guys at the range I go to have older Carbon 15's, and don't seem to have any issues with them.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Ooh, I forgot to add it has a lifetime warranty from manufacturing defects.

Plum Crazy Firearms C15 Complete Lower for $119.99 | Slickguns