lower reciver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > lower reciver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default lower reciver

is it worth building your own lower reciver to save money or should you buy it already made

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #2

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Are you talking about a 0-80% lower and finishing it? Or buying a standard stripped lower vs. a completed lower?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
ajb

I don't know how much money you would save but it is easy and fun.

I bought a lower and then a rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory and put it together. Someone else here would know more about buying a lower and then the individual parts to build it.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
ajb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Are you talking about a 0-80% lower and finishing it? Or buying a standard stripped lower vs. a completed lower?
I assumed he meant a stripped lower VS. complete. I don't think many people would be doing machining. I'm a machinist and wouldn't do it.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you can stake the castle nut and are able to torque everything properly it's a good thing to build your own lower. If you're not able to do all that I'd purchase a lower considering the price of a blem BCM w/ all the above.

I know "blem" turns some people off but BCM quality is 2nd none so to speak. There blems have been reported to be hardly noticeable.

I will say I have assembled lowers w/o staking or properly torqueing them. I'll also say I can tell the difference b/w these lowers.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #6

im talking about buying a stripped lower and putting in all the parts

Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #7

buying a stripped and installing the parts is not difficult. buying an 80% and drilling and machining is,naturally,more difficult.consider this: the 80% i bought cost the same as the cheapest stripped lower from Midway. i did the 80% just to see if i could. i like to learn and enjoyed both.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #8

Hey Newbie,

If you want to build a lower for the fun of it please go ahead. I have built five since last November and each one turned out to be more expenise than one I could have purchased already made if all I wanted was a lower.

The difference is I did not pay for stuff I did not want and I did not end up with a pile of useless spare parts. I like Magpul furniture so that is what all mine have, I like KNS anti-walk pins so that is what all mine have. I did it as less expensive as I could have by buying blemished lowers but each one came out between $300 and $600 depending on if I used a CTR or a UBR stock, a MOE or MAID ; and on and on. And as someone stated; the cosmetically blemished lowers are still functionally correct and if you shoot the rifle you will end up blemishing it sometime during the time you use it. Unless you baby the heck out of all your firearms.

If you do it; do it for the fun and don't be overly concerned about the price.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #9

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Ok then, a 100% machined stripped lower. The way you phrased the question I wanted you to clear that up.

I agree with the others, if you're handy with tools and want to save a little money, sure - build up a lower with the parts you want - but choose parts of quality.

If you choose wisely you'll assemble a better quality lower for about the same money as a fully assembled entry level factory job.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

I just recently built my AR, and am glad I did it rather than buy a complete rifle. When you build it yourself, you know exactly what every pin and every spring does, and it gave me a better understanding of how the components work. It was worth the time, and very easy. The only tools I used were a small hammer and a set of punches.