Lower reciever
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lower reciever

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FullautoUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marxachusetts
Posts: 2,627
Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Awhile ago I built a lower out of an air soft gun and posted a picture of it in the picture thread, well I was worried because it didn't have the threads for the buffer tube, but yesterday I came up with a solution, using a strong glue I glued an air soft stock onto it so I can put the buffer in it, the only thing I need to for it is put some form of a pad or something so the spring will not come out of it. What are your thoughts?

image-3041611289.jpg   image-4250846698.jpg   image-4271391972.jpg  
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
FullautoUSA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 971
Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Seems a bit finecky seeing as it is ABS plastic. I would not trust this on an AR15 BUT it is a good start to understanding what it takes to build an AR. I am sure that with some adjustment it COULD fit on an AR platform. Just mod it to your liking. Test the system out then go buy a real one! Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FullautoUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marxachusetts
Posts: 2,627
Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx
Seems a bit finecky seeing as it is ABS plastic. I would not trust this on an AR15 BUT it is a good start to understanding what it takes to build an AR. I am sure that with some adjustment it COULD fit on an AR platform. Just mod it to your liking. Test the system out then go buy a real one! Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!
If I do end up putting an upper on it, it will .22 lr, definitely won't put .223 or larger on it :yikes!
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
FullautoUSA is offline  
KG7IL Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,501
Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Default

i may be wrong, and if i am maybe, someone more versed in plastic AR lowers will correct me, but IMO, i fear that you're fixing to screw up big time!

airsoft guns are not firearms and not made the same as real firearms parts.

IMO, finding out who made the lower and contacting them for advice on what parts to use with that lower would be the best route. modifying airsoft parts, to me seems like a good way to get hurt or very seriously injured.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
molonlabexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 971
Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
If I do end up putting an upper on it, it will .22 lr, definitely won't put .223 or larger on it :yikes!
.22 LR is a good betting caliber but even such a small caliber can destroy plastic. Best to go with a polymer based or synthetic, maybe even lightweight alloy.
__________________
NRA member. Gun owner. From my cold, dead hands...


Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!


I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
molonlabexx is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexasGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,245
Liked 950 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Are you really going to build a real gun based off of a fake one? Not trying to insult you here as i admire wanting to create something. But I think you should start your creation based off of an 80% lower.

*****edit...... While I don't advise building off of an air soft platform, if you are building a .22lr then you do not even need a buffer tube. Take a look at the 22lr conversion bolts. They stay fixed in place only the internals of the bolt move. So technically no tube needed. Just plug/block off the back hole.

__________________
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by TexasGunner; 06-27-2013 at 01:18 AM.
TexasGunner is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FullautoUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marxachusetts
Posts: 2,627
Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i may be wrong, and if i am maybe, someone more versed in plastic AR lowers will correct me, but IMO, i fear that you're fixing to screw up big time!

airsoft guns are not firearms and not made the same as real firearms parts.

IMO, finding out who made the lower and contacting them for advice on what parts to use with that lower would be the best route. modifying airsoft parts, to me seems like a good way to get hurt or very seriously injured.
Your'e probably right, in .223 it would definitely be a death wish, in .22lr .17hmr or the .177 pellet upper it could work, but it would definitely be smart to get it checked out before doing so, though it would probably be safe in the .177 pellet upper. I think it would be more of a novelty, just to say it can be done, a middle finger, if you will, to gun control advocates
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
FullautoUSA is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,501
Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Your'e probably right, in .223 it would definitely be a death wish, in .22lr .17hmr or the .177 pellet upper it could work, but it would definitely be smart to get it checked out before doing so, though it would probably be safe in the .177 pellet upper. I think it would be more of a novelty, just to say it can be done, a middle finger, if you will, to gun control advocates
and gun control advocates are now going after pellet guns?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FullautoUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marxachusetts
Posts: 2,627
Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

and gun control advocates are now going after pellet guns?
No, just to say that one could make an AR lower out of a toy, same reason they freaked out about the 3d printer lower, neither of them would really work, but you can slap a lower on it and fire 3 rounds before it breaks, and that freaks them out.
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
FullautoUSA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,501
Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
No, just to say that one could make an AR lower out of a toy, same reason they freaked out about the 3d printer lower, neither of them would really work, but you can slap a lower on it and fire 3 rounds before it breaks, and that freaks them out.
HUH?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Finished lower reciever darthjkf AR-15 Discussion 1 06-02-2013 02:21 AM
good lower reciever brands Armed-Citizen AR-15 Discussion 3 10-13-2012 10:18 PM
lower reciever question Armed-Citizen AR-15 Discussion 7 10-11-2012 08:49 PM
Cheap AR-15 Stripped Lower Reciever Coolbeans194 AR-15 Discussion 4 08-17-2011 12:25 AM
Glock metal lower reciever. alderoth Glock Forum 0 08-16-2011 02:04 PM