Lower reciever
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lower reciever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Awhile ago I built a lower out of an air soft gun and posted a picture of it in the picture thread, well I was worried because it didn't have the threads for the buffer tube, but yesterday I came up with a solution, using a strong glue I glued an air soft stock onto it so I can put the buffer in it, the only thing I need to for it is put some form of a pad or something so the spring will not come out of it. What are your thoughts?

image-3041611289.jpg   image-4250846698.jpg   image-4271391972.jpg  

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Seems a bit finecky seeing as it is ABS plastic. I would not trust this on an AR15 BUT it is a good start to understanding what it takes to build an AR. I am sure that with some adjustment it COULD fit on an AR platform. Just mod it to your liking. Test the system out then go buy a real one! Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx
Seems a bit finecky seeing as it is ABS plastic. I would not trust this on an AR15 BUT it is a good start to understanding what it takes to build an AR. I am sure that with some adjustment it COULD fit on an AR platform. Just mod it to your liking. Test the system out then go buy a real one! Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!
If I do end up putting an upper on it, it will .22 lr, definitely won't put .223 or larger on it :yikes!

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

i may be wrong, and if i am maybe, someone more versed in plastic AR lowers will correct me, but IMO, i fear that you're fixing to screw up big time!

airsoft guns are not firearms and not made the same as real firearms parts.

IMO, finding out who made the lower and contacting them for advice on what parts to use with that lower would be the best route. modifying airsoft parts, to me seems like a good way to get hurt or very seriously injured.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
If I do end up putting an upper on it, it will .22 lr, definitely won't put .223 or larger on it :yikes!
.22 LR is a good betting caliber but even such a small caliber can destroy plastic. Best to go with a polymer based or synthetic, maybe even lightweight alloy.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Are you really going to build a real gun based off of a fake one? Not trying to insult you here as i admire wanting to create something. But I think you should start your creation based off of an 80% lower.

*****edit...... While I don't advise building off of an air soft platform, if you are building a .22lr then you do not even need a buffer tube. Take a look at the 22lr conversion bolts. They stay fixed in place only the internals of the bolt move. So technically no tube needed. Just plug/block off the back hole.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by TexasGunner; 06-27-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i may be wrong, and if i am maybe, someone more versed in plastic AR lowers will correct me, but IMO, i fear that you're fixing to screw up big time!

airsoft guns are not firearms and not made the same as real firearms parts.

IMO, finding out who made the lower and contacting them for advice on what parts to use with that lower would be the best route. modifying airsoft parts, to me seems like a good way to get hurt or very seriously injured.
Your'e probably right, in .223 it would definitely be a death wish, in .22lr .17hmr or the .177 pellet upper it could work, but it would definitely be smart to get it checked out before doing so, though it would probably be safe in the .177 pellet upper. I think it would be more of a novelty, just to say it can be done, a middle finger, if you will, to gun control advocates

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Your'e probably right, in .223 it would definitely be a death wish, in .22lr .17hmr or the .177 pellet upper it could work, but it would definitely be smart to get it checked out before doing so, though it would probably be safe in the .177 pellet upper. I think it would be more of a novelty, just to say it can be done, a middle finger, if you will, to gun control advocates
and gun control advocates are now going after pellet guns?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

and gun control advocates are now going after pellet guns?
No, just to say that one could make an AR lower out of a toy, same reason they freaked out about the 3d printer lower, neither of them would really work, but you can slap a lower on it and fire 3 rounds before it breaks, and that freaks them out.

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #10

Quote:
No, just to say that one could make an AR lower out of a toy, same reason they freaked out about the 3d printer lower, neither of them would really work, but you can slap a lower on it and fire 3 rounds before it breaks, and that freaks them out.
HUH?