Lower receiver recommendations? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lower receiver recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combateffective4
What is your budget
As I'm making this a long time project, I'm not too concerned with budget. I'll have time to save money between ordering the different parts.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:

Bcm is awesome the build I did today has abm upper it is very accurate and highly recommend by many ppl
Very nice build! That paint job is awesome

Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
The Spikes lower is fine, as are most others as long as they're made from 7075 T6 alloy. But the lower allows you to make a statement about your build so I'd suggest throwing in a little more to get something you really like. Check out the lower receiver sticky, you might see just the ticket.

Of the four forged lowers I've used the S&W M&P-15 is the best. I've used a QUentin Defense billet too, very nice.
Thanks Quentin! I wasn't aware of the lower sticky. I'll check it out

Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
I'd spend more energy and money on the barrel and the BCG. There are so many good-enough lowers that this particular part doesn't seem all that important to me, at least if you are building an all-purpose, general-use defense rifle.

Just get one from a known company and get on with your build.

Just my 2 cents...and it's only worth a penny!
I'm definitely going to spend time and energy on all of the components. As this is my first build, I want to put as much thought in it as possible. Keep me busy for a while

Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks again guys. Great suggestions. The lower receiver sticky is a great resource. Just made my choice more confusing! Lol. Looks like most of these receivers are on indefinite back order also. This build will keep me busy for quite some time. This is going to be fun!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

i think first what type of build do you want to build first... M16 style, match rifle,long range rifle, battle rifle ... ect i think ar 15 builds are mens barbies, thats usually how i start my builds. next build is gonna be my most high end match grade build have all the pistol parts coming in with in a week or so

Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
i think first what type of build do you want to build first... M16 style, match rifle,long range rifle, battle rifle ... ect i think ar 15 builds are mens barbies, thats usually how i start my builds. next build is gonna be my most high end match grade build have all the pistol parts coming in with in a week or so
I'm thinking more along the lines of a lightweight high end battle rifle. I'd like to keep it streamlined, as my m&p weighs a ton. It was my first ar so I went a little overboard on the accessories lol.. It's fun to shoot though

Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Handled and built quiet a few lowers. These are my order from cheapest to expensive or least preffered to wanting it so bad.
Spike's, Mega Arms, Noveske & BCM.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
Handled and built quiet a few lowers. These are my order from cheapest to expensive or least preffered to wanting it so bad.
Spike's, Mega Arms, Noveske & BCM.
Thanks okdonk. I went to my lgs the other day and they had two lowers in stock. The spikes lower and USA tactical lower. I carefully looked over both (as the spikes cost $150 and the USA tactical cost $395?), trying to find a difference in quality and was unable to do so. I admit, i'm looking through untrained eyes. I've owned an M&P AR for about 3-4 years now and that's the extent of my experience the AR as a whole. What is it about some lowers that set them apart from others? What justifies an $245 price difference between lowers that (again to my untrained eyes) seem to be identical except for the stampings and logos? I definitely want to build on a solid platform, so if BCM, RRA or Noveske are the way to go, that's what I'm going with... But why?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #20

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel1911

Thanks okdonk. I went to my lgs the other day and they had two lowers in stock. The spikes lower and USA tactical lower. I carefully looked over both (as the spikes cost $150 and the USA tactical cost $395?), trying to find a difference in quality and was unable to do so. I admit, i'm looking through untrained eyes. I've owned an M&P AR for about 3-4 years now and that's the extent of my experience the AR as a whole. What is it about some lowers that set them apart from others? What justifies an $245 price difference between lowers that (again to my untrained eyes) seem to be identical except for the stampings and logos? I definitely want to build on a solid platform, so if BCM, RRA or Noveske are the way to go, that's what I'm going with... But why?
I have 3 spikes lowers and I loved building on them, yes I love the rollmark so I am a little bias. But overall a solid lower to accommodate any type of build.