Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lower receiver recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Lower receiver recommendations?

Hello all..
I've recently decided that I'd like to try my hand in an AR build. I own several weapons and have modified every one of them in one form or another with favorable results. I feel confident that I'll be able to accomplish this build. I plan on taking my time with this project and I'd like to use all quality parts. I've been eyeing a stripped spikes tactical lower receiver. From what I understand, spikes makes quality parts. Are there other lower receivers that you all would consider to be of higher quality? Or are they more or less all the same quality? Thanks in advance for any advice and insight

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5127 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I primarily use bcm and rra lowers.

I really like the rra lowers they are at the upper end of max milspec and very uniform. Whoever is producing them for rra is doing a damn fine job for them as the builds i have with the rra lowers lock up tight as hell on the lower and upper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 2368 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Me likey my RRA lower.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I would consider noveske better I love my noveske build...

I built another lower today and I have another parts kit coming Tom... I am very disappointed in NFA lowers I had to do way too much dremeling on it nothing fit correctly it was such a head ache... As fit rra i've heard there good but I very much disliked the parts kit I got from them the trigger has to be close to 10lbs the detents do not work i'm gonna switch it all out... Unfortunately

Aroe has there lowers for 100$ for the scratch dent ones

Head they make most the markets lowers for spikes and others i've heard

Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

What is your budget

Old 05-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'd spend more energy and money on the barrel and the BCG. There are so many good-enough lowers that this particular part doesn't seem all that important to me, at least if you are building an all-purpose, general-use defense rifle.

Just get one from a known company and get on with your build.

Just my 2 cents...and it's only worth a penny!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be looking into rra and bcm. I've owned a m&p psx for a couple of years now. Out of box it was tight as could be. After I initially broke it down I noticed it had the slightest play between the receiver and upper. I purchased a small red rubber plunger ( can't remember the name of it off hand) and placed it in the receiver. Instant fix. Back to being extremely tight. I was worried that it would wiggle itself loose and cause a malfunction but fast forward a couple of years and she's still running flawless.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel1911 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll definitely be looking into rra and bcm. I've owned a m&p psx for a couple of years now. Out of box it was tight as could be. After I initially broke it down I noticed it had the slightest play between the receiver and upper. I purchased a small red rubber plunger ( can't remember the name of it off hand) and placed it in the receiver. Instant fix. Back to being extremely tight. I was worried that it would wiggle itself loose and cause a malfunction but fast forward a couple of years and she's still running flawless.
Bcm is awesome the build I did today has abm upper it is very accurate and highly recommend by many ppl

forumrunner_20130523_231704.jpg

forumrunner_20130523_231724.jpg

forumrunner_20130523_231732.jpg

Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #9

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

The Spikes lower is fine, as are most others as long as they're made from 7075 T6 alloy. But the lower allows you to make a statement about your build so I'd suggest throwing in a little more to get something you really like. Check out the lower receiver sticky, you might see just the ticket.

Of the four forged lowers I've used the S&W M&P-15 is the best. I've used a QUentin Defense billet too, very nice.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

They have there 16 in uppers in stock I believe

No hand guard standard A style sight/gas block

Bcm is a battle rifle

YHM also has some good stuff