Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Lower receiver recommendations? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lower-receiver-recommendations-91175/)

nickel1911 05-24-2013 03:11 AM

Lower receiver recommendations?

Hello all..
I've recently decided that I'd like to try my hand in an AR build. I own several weapons and have modified every one of them in one form or another with favorable results. I feel confident that I'll be able to accomplish this build. I plan on taking my time with this project and I'd like to use all quality parts. I've been eyeing a stripped spikes tactical lower receiver. From what I understand, spikes makes quality parts. Are there other lower receivers that you all would consider to be of higher quality? Or are they more or less all the same quality? Thanks in advance for any advice and insight

JonM 05-24-2013 03:36 AM

I primarily use bcm and rra lowers.

I really like the rra lowers they are at the upper end of max milspec and very uniform. Whoever is producing them for rra is doing a damn fine job for them as the builds i have with the rra lowers lock up tight as hell on the lower and upper.

kytowboater 05-24-2013 03:39 AM

Me likey my RRA lower.

combateffective4 05-24-2013 03:58 AM

I would consider noveske better I love my noveske build...

I built another lower today and I have another parts kit coming Tom... I am very disappointed in NFA lowers I had to do way too much dremeling on it nothing fit correctly it was such a head ache... As fit rra i've heard there good but I very much disliked the parts kit I got from them the trigger has to be close to 10lbs the detents do not work i'm gonna switch it all out... Unfortunately

Aroe has there lowers for 100$ for the scratch dent ones

Head they make most the markets lowers for spikes and others i've heard

combateffective4 05-24-2013 04:07 AM

What is your budget

CHLChris 05-24-2013 04:07 AM

I'd spend more energy and money on the barrel and the BCG. There are so many good-enough lowers that this particular part doesn't seem all that important to me, at least if you are building an all-purpose, general-use defense rifle.

Just get one from a known company and get on with your build.

Just my 2 cents...and it's only worth a penny!

nickel1911 05-24-2013 04:13 AM

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be looking into rra and bcm. I've owned a m&p psx for a couple of years now. Out of box it was tight as could be. After I initially broke it down I noticed it had the slightest play between the receiver and upper. I purchased a small red rubber plunger ( can't remember the name of it off hand) and placed it in the receiver. Instant fix. Back to being extremely tight. I was worried that it would wiggle itself loose and cause a malfunction but fast forward a couple of years and she's still running flawless.

combateffective4 05-24-2013 04:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickel1911 (Post 1256553)
Thanks guys. I'll definitely be looking into rra and bcm. I've owned a m&p psx for a couple of years now. Out of box it was tight as could be. After I initially broke it down I noticed it had the slightest play between the receiver and upper. I purchased a small red rubber plunger ( can't remember the name of it off hand) and placed it in the receiver. Instant fix. Back to being extremely tight. I was worried that it would wiggle itself loose and cause a malfunction but fast forward a couple of years and she's still running flawless.

Bcm is awesome the build I did today has abm upper it is very accurate and highly recommend by many ppl

Attachment 102576

Attachment 102577

Attachment 102578

Quentin 05-24-2013 04:19 AM

The Spikes lower is fine, as are most others as long as they're made from 7075 T6 alloy. But the lower allows you to make a statement about your build so I'd suggest throwing in a little more to get something you really like. Check out the lower receiver sticky, you might see just the ticket.

Of the four forged lowers I've used the S&W M&P-15 is the best. I've used a QUentin Defense billet too, very nice.

combateffective4 05-24-2013 04:19 AM

They have there 16 in uppers in stock I believe

No hand guard standard A style sight/gas block

Bcm is a battle rifle

YHM also has some good stuff