Lower Receiver Kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lower Receiver Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 8

Default Lower Receiver Kit

Hey fellas,

May have a goofy question here but I just recently received my RRA stripped lower for my first AR build. I know nothing is available right now but I've narrowed down my Lower Kit to DD or Spikes when they come in stock. My question is the DD standard kit is $99 and the Spikes Enhanced is $159. Is there really any difference in these two?

From what I've read on the AR Primer Sticky it seems like there's not too much difference in the lower kits provided you buy a quality product which I believe DD and Spikes to be. I have included the links to the two items before and would greatly appreciate any advice you guys could offer.

Link:

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/lower-half/lower-receiver-parts-kit-semi-auto.html

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-kit-spikes-enhanced-parts-kit-p-422.html

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Well looking at the Spikes Enhanced LPK they list the following as extras:
•KNS Gen II Mod II Anti-Rotation pins
•Spike’s Billet Trigger Guard
•Ergo Grip with Spike’s Logo
•ST Battle Trigger
•Ambi Safety Selector

You have to decide if those extras are worth it to you. To me they're not. I don't see the need for the KNS pins in a properly manufactured lower and prefer Magpul grips over the Ergo. The DD kit includes a Magpul enhanced trigger guard, but polymer not alloy (though I don't see any problem with the polymer as it's plenty strong for this application). The trigger, (see if anyone else has experience with it but) I'm skeptical that it's a whole lot better than a good milspec. The ambi selector? Up to you.

I've bought two DD LPKs and like them. At the time they were $79 but now they're hard to find period. In fact you may have to get what you can find in stock these days. The Stag/CMT kit has worked out well for me also, as has ArmaLite's.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.