Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Lower For Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 629 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Lower For Build

What stripped lower would be the best starting point if I ever decided to sell my build? I typically don't sell any of my weapons, but if I ever have to I want to get the maximum resell value.

I'm familiar with the AR platform and have a 6920. I'm only interested in forged. I only plan on using top tier internals and a top tier upper, so I'm only looking for advice on the stripped lower.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 347 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Why only forged? Why not billet?

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

I've never built one, so I want my first to be forged like the MIL rifles. The billet lowers look funny to me, maybe they will grow on me. I guess for subsequent builds I will definitely consider a billet lower.

I'm surprised none of the AR experts have replied yet! Where you guys at??? Tiki, Quentin, Sweeper, JonM, Pure, etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #4

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Colt, LMT, Noveske, LaRue, Knights. Thes would probably fetch top dollar, but some of those folks don't sell their lowers stripped or only sell/sold them in extremely limited numbers. So, you'd have to find one parted out or an old run.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #5

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I've never built one, so I want my first to be forged like the MIL rifles. The billet lowers look funny to me, maybe they will grow on me. I guess for subsequent builds I will definitely consider a billet lower.

I'm surprised none of the AR experts have replied yet! Where you guys at??? Tiki, Quentin, Sweeper, JonM, Pure, etc.
Hey brother heres the deal , right now billet lowers arent making a rifle bring a huge premiums . That high end market is soft . Colt lowers always bring a premium in the forged market . High end uppers are stable . Noveske , Knights Armament , Wilson, LaRue , Daniel Defense , Les Baer .
But in all honesty your paying big for the name .
I would buy a BCM, PSA or Rainier Arms for a hell of alot less and have as good of quality rifle as any of them .
If your talking about precision accuracy buy a Keieger and be done .
Remember you can take any rifle and dress it up anyway you want it to look .
I have a few billet lowers on my want list but I just cant bring myself to buy one and actually put it to use . So much money and I use my rifles alot and they arent beautiful anymore . Just hate to do that to a beauty . If it was going to be a safe queen yeah maybe
Just pick the roll mark you like best and go with it.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-03-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Jpyle Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #6

I've seen Colts, but they are a rip off at the price people ask. Do KAC and Noveske sell stripped lowers? I've already got some S&Ws, I just want my first to be special and have as much value as possible. Would you guys rate BCM and LaRue up there as far as resell value compared to KAC and Noveske? Do BCM and LaRue sell stripped lowers?

I know where the true value is, the internals. I just want a starting place that is super premium and special to me. Also, would it be best to just buy another 6920 and part it out? Thanks for the help so far guys.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #7

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
I've seen Colts, but they are a rip off at the price people ask. Do KAC and Noveske sell stripped lowers? I've already got some S&Ws, I just want my first to be special and have as much value as possible. Would you guys rate BCM and LaRue up there as far as resell value compared to KAC and Noveske? Do BCM and LaRue sell stripped lowers?

I know where the true value is, the internals. I just want a starting place that is super premium and special to me. Also, would it be best to just buy another 6920 and part it out? Thanks for the help so far guys.
Special to you may not be special to someone else on resale . So build it with the roll mark you like and with the parts you like .
Wanna sell one of them S&W lowers ?
I think BCM only sells them as a built lower . Noveske yes. But I would find a older non chain saw lower .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-03-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #8

Liked 209 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:

Armalite sells the lowers, if you can get them. The problem you might run into irregardless, is that if you try to resell your build, the odds are the shade of black will be different between the upper and lower, which will give the buyer the indication it is a home build, and not a factory rifle. My suggestion is if you are building with a possible future re-sale in mind, is to strip both the upper lower, and buttstock tube if it is a carbine, of anodizing or whatever coating, and send them out to be coated together so you will have a matched set. As you add furniture (Handguards, pistol grip, buttstock), if they are not purchased as a set, set them aside and paint them so that the shade will be the same.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Armalite sells the lowers, if you can get them. The problem you might run into irregardless, is that if you try to resell your build, the odds are the shade of black will be different between the upper and lower, which will give the buyer the indication it is a home build, and not a factory rifle. My suggestion is if you are building with a possible future re-sale in mind, is to strip both the upper lower, and buttstock tube if it is a carbine, of anodizing or whatever coating, and send them out to be coated together so you will have a matched set. As you add furniture (Handguards, pistol grip, buttstock), if they are not purchased as a set, set them aside and paint them so that the shade will be the same.
This I had not thought of. I don't intend to sell the rifle, I just want a rock solid starting point. I do intend to get a Spikes Calico Jack lower and maybe try a billet later. I want my first to be a dream come true, if that makes sense. So far it's looking like a 6920 is getting parted out.

Please keep the info coming guys, it's really helping.

Last edited by 1911love; 10-03-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #10

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You never Build or Purchase with the intent of selling.

All Forged Mil-Spec Lowers are built with whatever Tolerances, that Manufacturer uses. If it's out of Spec by .05, but still within Mil-Spec, well it's still In-Spec, even though it might not match up with the Upper you're using.
Also you'll find that the Anodized Coatings might not match up with another Manufacturer's Color. So what then?
I would at least stay with Same Manufacturer, so at least the Upper/Lower Colors match up.

PSA, BCM, Knights, Spikes, Noveske, CMMG are a few I would look at.
Del