Looking to start an ar15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking to start an ar15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to start an ar15

I've been wanting to build an ar for a while now and I've decided to start now, but have not the slightest clue were to start brand wise. Help me out please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Define "build". Are you going to start with stripped receivers and assemble EVERYTHING (component build)? Or, are you looking to slap a complete upper and complete lower together and call it a build (Major Assemblies Build)? If you are looking at option 1 the you have a laundry list of parts to buy and the options are endless. If you are looking at option 2 then the list (in my view)is short.

In no particular order.....

1. Daniel Defense
2. Noveske
3. BCM
4. LMT
5. Colt

Actually, I would probably use the same list for a component build as well.

Disclosure: I don't own anything from any of the above (except a BCM Gunfighter charging handle). But if I had it to do over again I most certainly would. Should the opportunity to build another rifle present itself I will.

This really isn't something to jump into blindly. Do your due diligence and research every option before you drop a wad of cash. Start bare bones basic and buy the highest quality you can afford. Then go shoot the gun. Then start trying to figure out what kind of add-ons you NEED as opposed to want. ie quad rail, light, optic blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda. I personally wasted a lot of money on things I wanted, that now sit in the closet because I found they were useless for my ACTUAL NEEDS.

Research, study and take everything you hear on these boards with a grain of salt. Sift through the "ADVICE" you get and verify every claim before you base a decision on it.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Psssst, check this out. And if you look at the top of the forums there's a few more stickies that will hook you up.....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-09-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 18

^^^^^^Oh yea.....there's that too. ^^^^^^

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #5

I have read and read all of the posts here. No one has really mentioned anything about CMMG are they any count? I am looking to buy one. I'm willing to spend 900-1000 on a ar. When I buy a firearm I'm going to keep it and I'll pass it along to my kids. Not looking to buy one and drop it in a couple months I want a gun that I can shoot and pass to my kids in about 20 years. Any help is appreciated

Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure were you live at but allot of people get stuff for there ar builds at cmp shoots like the big one at camp perry in portclinton ohio dealers have a dealers row and you can buy everything you need usually at a discount last year rock river stripped lowers under 100.00 then lower parts kit also and get rock river 2stage trigger best for the money then find your upper you want you name it they got it.I have seen armalite nm go for 900.00 else were they cost 1300.00

Old 06-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
Not sure were you live at but allot of people get stuff for there ar builds at cmp shoots like the big one at camp perry in portclinton ohio dealers have a dealers row and you can buy everything you need usually at a discount last year rock river stripped lowers under 100.00 then lower parts kit also and get rock river 2stage trigger best for the money then find your upper you want you name it they got it.I have seen armalite nm go for 900.00 else were they cost 1300.00
Who?

The RR 2 Stage is not the best trigger for the money. They are know to start failing when you get into the higher round counts.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I like the geissele 2 stage trigger

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Before getting into triggers get the standard milspec trigger.

Its a great trigger, I wish I had them on all my handguns.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a rr2stage have over1500rds through it no malfuntions but I do agree that Giessel triggers are good shot few match rifles with those triggers and they are very good the guns had white oak uppers and very accurate