Looking for a smoother trigger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for a smoother trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking for a smoother trigger

I am currently using a standard mil-spec LPK and it has been working beautifully, but I think I would like something a bit softer and a bit more suited to my needs. Something that's quick and reliable for use as a combat ready piece of equipment, this last part means a few things.

1 - Nothing that I cannot take apart and clean/repair if I need to, it needs to be combat effective and not something that I am going to have to wait on to replace if it malfunctions and not something requires specialty tools. If I can't disassemble it with a basic assortment of AR tools and my Leatherman MUT and it's full set of bit attachments it's probably out of the realm of my POU

2 - Preferably Smooth and crisp like a nice precision bolt rifle trigger, I have a multi-purpose AR and need a trigger that can work for precision shooting at 500-600 yards as well as quick and clean resets when I'm doing short range rapid fire training.

Now I have looked into a few options and been cruising around, but I don't think I ever get all the options when I do it myself which is why I am here asking for opinions on the matter, personal experience and comparisons related to the basic trigger assembly are very Welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

ALG Defence makes a good single stage trigger.

Rock River Arms is the best 2 stage for my money.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

a little weekening of the hammer spring (by bending back its legs) and polishing the hammer/sear notches with crocus cloth will decrease the trigger weight by as much as 30% and smooth out the trigger function.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Are the drop in kind worth the money?

Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I use ALG combat combined with JP reduced springs kit on all my builds. All that costed me $75 plus shipping. I'm not a match shooter so i don't need $200+ Geissele triggers. So far i'm happy with that combination.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #6

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

cant get any cheaper than diy

Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1087 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 454

TacticalPrecision,

The "combat effective" AR triggers you speak of have some take-up and over-travel and break like carrots. You already have one of those.

Quality bolt action triggers typically don't have much take-up or over-travel and break like glass rods.

I believe what you are looking for is a Geissele SSA-E trigger. It's a drop-in replacement for a mil-spec unit and has characteristics that more closely resemble a precision rifle trigger than a combat rifle trigger while not requiring special tools for installation.

If you are only unhappy with the roughness of the trigger or pull weight, a Geissele SSA would probably do the job.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #8

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
I use ALG combat combined with JP reduced springs kit on all my builds. All that costed me $75 plus shipping. I'm not a match shooter so i don't need $200+ Geissele triggers. So far i'm happy with that combination.
Donk hit right on the head, perfect set up for a non comp user

Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #9

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I have an ALG/ACT in an M forgery and a Wilson Combat TTUM2 in a Bushy .308 The ALG in nice, the TTU is something else. But the Wilson is a sealed unit and not user friendly as far as maintenance. I have the harder 2 stage model and everyone who shoots it says it's light enough that the other model is probably too light for our gang.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #10

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Had a chance to compare my stock S&W sport to the ALG. The Smith seems almost a single stage with very short take up and a clean but tad heavy break. The ALG is a true 2 stage with a lighter final break. Since the Smith will be used for grandson training probably will leave it alone. Before buying new aftermarket triggers the Smith was the best of the 4 I own.