Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Looking for a smoother trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/looking-smoother-trigger-91309/)

TacticalPrecision 05-27-2013 12:50 AM

Looking for a smoother trigger

I am currently using a standard mil-spec LPK and it has been working beautifully, but I think I would like something a bit softer and a bit more suited to my needs. Something that's quick and reliable for use as a combat ready piece of equipment, this last part means a few things.

1 - Nothing that I cannot take apart and clean/repair if I need to, it needs to be combat effective and not something that I am going to have to wait on to replace if it malfunctions and not something requires specialty tools. If I can't disassemble it with a basic assortment of AR tools and my Leatherman MUT and it's full set of bit attachments it's probably out of the realm of my POU

2 - Preferably Smooth and crisp like a nice precision bolt rifle trigger, I have a multi-purpose AR and need a trigger that can work for precision shooting at 500-600 yards as well as quick and clean resets when I'm doing short range rapid fire training.

Now I have looked into a few options and been cruising around, but I don't think I ever get all the options when I do it myself which is why I am here asking for opinions on the matter, personal experience and comparisons related to the basic trigger assembly are very Welcome.

Gatoragn 05-27-2013 01:16 AM

ALG Defence makes a good single stage trigger.

Rock River Arms is the best 2 stage for my money.

sniper762 05-27-2013 01:30 AM

a little weekening of the hammer spring (by bending back its legs) and polishing the hammer/sear notches with crocus cloth will decrease the trigger weight by as much as 30% and smooth out the trigger function.

towboater 05-27-2013 01:50 AM

Are the drop in kind worth the money?

okdonk 05-27-2013 02:21 AM

I use ALG combat combined with JP reduced springs kit on all my builds. All that costed me $75 plus shipping. I'm not a match shooter so i don't need $200+ Geissele triggers. So far i'm happy with that combination.

sniper762 05-27-2013 02:34 AM

cant get any cheaper than diy

kbd512 05-27-2013 04:15 AM

TacticalPrecision,

The "combat effective" AR triggers you speak of have some take-up and over-travel and break like carrots. You already have one of those.

Quality bolt action triggers typically don't have much take-up or over-travel and break like glass rods.

I believe what you are looking for is a Geissele SSA-E trigger. It's a drop-in replacement for a mil-spec unit and has characteristics that more closely resemble a precision rifle trigger than a combat rifle trigger while not requiring special tools for installation.

If you are only unhappy with the roughness of the trigger or pull weight, a Geissele SSA would probably do the job.

bige91603 05-27-2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk (Post 1258952)
I use ALG combat combined with JP reduced springs kit on all my builds. All that costed me $75 plus shipping. I'm not a match shooter so i don't need $200+ Geissele triggers. So far i'm happy with that combination.

Donk hit right on the head, perfect set up for a non comp user

p35bhp55 05-27-2013 05:04 AM

I have an ALG/ACT in an M forgery and a Wilson Combat TTUM2 in a Bushy .308 The ALG in nice, the TTU is something else. But the Wilson is a sealed unit and not user friendly as far as maintenance. I have the harder 2 stage model and everyone who shoots it says it's light enough that the other model is probably too light for our gang.

p35bhp55 05-27-2013 05:46 AM

Had a chance to compare my stock S&W sport to the ALG. The Smith seems almost a single stage with very short take up and a clean but tad heavy break. The ALG is a true 2 stage with a lighter final break. Since the Smith will be used for grandson training probably will leave it alone. Before buying new aftermarket triggers the Smith was the best of the 4 I own.