Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking at purchasing an AR...I have one in mind.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at purchasing an AR...I have one in mind.

I am looking at a DPMS Panther AP4 AR15 Rifle 5.56 16i 30r Black AP4. I want to use it mainly for varmint and coyote hunting. Do any of you have any experience with this weapon? I am also wanting to make sure I am not getting price gouged.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I say if you don't want to get gouged, wait until congress does what it is going to do. All these panic buyers have inflated the price of AR 15's to the point of stupid. I don't see congress doing what Dianne Feinstein and Obama want, and all these 600 buck guns going for $2000 -$3000 is going to stop, and you will see a bunch of AR's being dumped back on the market for whatever people can get for them. I saw a PCF go for 1500 grand on gunbroker this weekend, and it is a $500 gun on a good day. DPMS isn't a bad gun, just overpriced IMHO. It is about a $600 gun that goes for $900. Not a teir 1, but not something I would say don't buy at any price either. If you can get it cheaper than anything else is selling for in your area, go for it. I just don't see paying a grand for it. You will see posts from others who will swear by them, and their quality control has improved from what I understand, so take and evaluate all of our opinions, and make your own decisions.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Short answer: If you like the rifle and get a deal on it, go for it. I'd recommend building your own to make it exactly what you want. I hate DPMS triggers but YMMV.

Long answer: Any time I see someone talking about buying an AR, especially at the current inflated pricing, I recommend looking into building it instead. The drawback is that it takes more time to have a finished rifle, and (based on pre-ban-talk pricing) doesn't always save you money. Even with that taken into account, you usually end up with a better rifle in that you spend less time upgrading parts down the road since you get to pick the better stuff up front.

Building an AR is not complicated at all (I would recommend getting a proper roll pin punch set as those 2 roll pins are annoying without the right punches).

Wait and find a reasonably priced stripped lower ($100-$200 depending on brand) as that's the only part you need an FFL for. Once you have that, you can pick all the other parts over time, looking for the perfect part at the perfect price -- of course you can always purchase the parts all at once if that's what you prefer.

I built mine using a Stag stripped lower. I got a DPMS lower parts kit for it and that was my big mistake -- the trigger was absolute CRAP. I quickly swapped it out for a Rock River Arms trigger and learned my lesson; I'll never build an AR without the RRA trigger as it was like night and day. Could you upgrade your trigger later? Absolutely; it's very, very easy to do. Would you be better off doing it right away? Yes. It's that big a difference. Lesson learned.

Then it was a matter of selecting my stock (I picked the Magpul MOE). Then I went with a Stag H3 upper -- I knew I wanted a flat top, though it meant I'd need BUIS for it. Selected my red dot sight (from primary arms) and found a deal on some BUIS on ebay. I got my parts ordered and delivered within a week or so -- like half an hour later I had my AR ready to go, had saved myself about $100 but had a far better rifle than if I bought one pre-built.

Now, I had the advantage of having been an Infantryman so I knew M4's inside and out, but I've also helped my friend get parts of his first AR and he did it himself just as easily. It's really simple, fun, and will make sure you understand exactly how every piece of your rifle functions together -- plus browsing Midwayusa/brownells is a fun way to kill time daydreaming

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Liked 945 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
Short answer: If you like the rifle and get a deal on it, go for it. I'd recommend building your own to make it exactly what you want. I hate DPMS triggers but YMMV.

Long answer: Any time I see someone talking about buying an AR, especially at the current inflated pricing, I recommend looking into building it instead. The drawback is that it takes more time to have a finished rifle, and (based on pre-ban-talk pricing) doesn't always save you money. Even with that taken into account, you usually end up with a better rifle in that you spend less time upgrading parts down the road since you get to pick the better stuff up front.

Building an AR is not complicated at all (I would recommend getting a proper roll pin punch set as those 2 roll pins are annoying without the right punches).

Wait and find a reasonably priced stripped lower ($100-$200 depending on brand) as that's the only part you need an FFL for. Once you have that, you can pick all the other parts over time, looking for the perfect part at the perfect price -- of course you can always purchase the parts all at once if that's what you prefer.

I built mine using a Stag stripped lower. I got a DPMS lower parts kit for it and that was my big mistake -- the trigger was absolute CRAP. I quickly swapped it out for a Rock River Arms trigger and learned my lesson; I'll never build an AR without the RRA trigger as it was like night and day. Could you upgrade your trigger later? Absolutely; it's very, very easy to do. Would you be better off doing it right away? Yes. It's that big a difference. Lesson learned.

Then it was a matter of selecting my stock (I picked the Magpul MOE). Then I went with a Stag H3 upper -- I knew I wanted a flat top, though it meant I'd need BUIS for it. Selected my red dot sight (from primary arms) and found a deal on some BUIS on ebay. I got my parts ordered and delivered within a week or so -- like half an hour later I had my AR ready to go, had saved myself about $100 but had a far better rifle than if I bought one pre-built.

Now, I had the advantage of having been an Infantryman so I knew M4's inside and out, but I've also helped my friend get parts of his first AR and he did it himself just as easily. It's really simple, fun, and will make sure you understand exactly how every piece of your rifle functions together -- plus browsing Midwayusa/brownells is a fun way to kill time daydreaming
Good advice, Wolfrage. Nice to see a new guy show up who's already squared away. Of course it's not right to call an 11B a new guy!

Normally doing a build is the way to go and a lot of us here go that route. Let's hope parts and prices soon ease up. What upper/barrel did you go with?

DE, normally I'd never recommend DPMS but in these inflated times if you get a good deal it should be up to the applications you listed. Look at PSA too, it's a better rifle and you might get lucky and stumble across one.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-27-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Good advice, Wolfrage. Nice to see a new guy show up who's already squared away. Of course it's not right to call an 11B a new guy!
Heh thanks

Quote:
Normally doing a build is the way to go and a lot of us here go that route. Let's hope parts and prices soon ease up. What upper/barrel did you go with?
I went with a Stag H3 upper -- I'd buy it again. No issues, is accurate... my dad got the same one.

Quote:
DE, normally I'd never recommend DPMS but in these inflated times if you get a good deal it should be up to the applications you listed. Look at PSA too, it's a better rifle and you might get lucky and stumble across one.
Definitely look at local forums too -- you can still find reasonably priced new and used rifles here and there.

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys! I had a stripped lower in my possession, but was able to let it go for a good price to a local man who wanted to build another AR. I was able to get a nice custom build from a friend locally. It is a 6.5 Grendel lower from Alexander Arms here in VA with a CCMG parts kit, with a RRA 5.56 16" flat top upper. I also got one heck of a deal! I am excited to get out there and go for some 'yotes now.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
BZ3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

image-1947433148.jpg

I have a DPMS and it's been good to me so far

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Anyone out there thinking about buying one now should probably wait unless you see something that is reasonably priced. Even the DPMS's are going for 2 grand lately.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin