looking for a new ar is this a good deal?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

looking for a new ar is this a good deal??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

He states that the area under the gas block is .936 in diameter. That is bull barrel width. Typical medium contours are .750 under the gas block. Bull barrels are thick and heavy for added rigidity for added precision. The barrel is unthreaded at the muzzle with only a target crown. So it would seem that this is a precision oriented barrel. But its chambered in 5.56. Not a precision chambering, its a bit loose for added reliability (so it can still function when dirty). That doesn't make any sense, it's counter intuitive.

The current trend is for lightweight set ups, easier to carry, easier to track multiple targets, accurate enough for practical shooting. The heavier a rifle is, longer it will take you to track, stop, hold steady, then fire. Bull barrels are best for bench shooting or for fire suppression roles....

Also what gets me is this guy, tells you who forged his upper, who made his dust cover, but won't tell you who made the barrel.....wth man.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I would imagine it is a heavy barrel and could be useful on a slide fire.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad442 View Post
ok so would the barrel on that gun be considered a bull barrel?? and im assuming one of them would be better if you intend on using a slidefire??

Stainless steel barrels are a bad choice for rapid fire type shooting.

They don't last as long. You should consider a chromed barrel.

While slidefires are cool, I'd get a 3 gun competition trigger, you'll have more control and be able to shoot almost as fast.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #14

If you are really going to do a lot of rapid fire shooting, get at least a medium contour barrel, with chrome lining or melonite. Also CHF barrels will last longer. Heavy barrels would be a pretty good choice given your shooting parameters. But they are heavy.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

As Tikki said Chrome is definitely better and back to original question on price it sounds like you would be doing work on it anyway so...pass.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #16

thanks for the good info and yes a slidefire will be a definate as i love the one on my m&p 15-22 so with that said what type of barrel should i be looking for manufacture wise and what length and twist would u recomend id still like to have an accurate gun when not used in slidefire mode.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #17

i was also kicking around the idea of doing a slidefire with a 7.62x 39 ar but im not to sure how controlable that would be ????

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad442
thanks for the good info and yes a slidefire will be a definate as i love the one on my m&p 15-22 so with that said what type of barrel should i be looking for manufacture wise and what length and twist would u recomend id still like to have an accurate gun when not used in slidefire mode.
If I were looking for an AR to hook a slidefire to I'd get a DPMS. They are of the same quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #19

ive also been told the chrome moly barrels are the cheaper ones and to stay away from those, is that correct advice?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
If I were looking for an AR to hook a slidefire to I'd get a DPMS. They are of the same quality.
ive been told by several people who own dpms guns to stay away from them as there complete hunks of junk im looking more from something built with spikes tactical or daniel defense qaulity parts