Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking For A New AR: Which Brand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Nemo, for the man that has it all, but still wants for something more.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Honestly I make a precision oriented ar15. I don't you have one yet, no? Maybe something suitable for 600+ yard engagements? If that doesn't float you boat, how about something for things that go bump in the night. Think suppressed and thermal......

Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #13

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

You know my mantra .... build your own

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

try a psa and see what all the hubub is about?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Before this gets to far off course. I'm not looking for suggestions as far as different brands.

I'm happy w/ BCM but was curious if others had heard, seen, or experienced anything negative w/ BCM as I'm looking to get another.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I love my PWS MK114. It was priced right for a long stroke piston AR, I paid $1500, and is set up nicely from the factory. I liked that the muzzle break plus the 14.5" barrel make it NJ legal from the factory, no need to upcharge me to make it "NJ compliant" and it came with MOE furniture and sights, an enhanced buffer and tube and BCM gunfighter charging handle. Plus being piston driven it's easy as all ell to maintain.

If you can find one in stock or are willing to wait the requisite lead time, it's a great AR...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #17

Liked 916 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Quote:
Before this gets to far off course. I'm not looking for suggestions as far as different brands.

I'm happy w/ BCM but was curious if others had heard, seen, or experienced anything negative w/ BCM as I'm looking to get another.

Well it's hard to beat BCM for price vs. performance. And they have a reputation they don't want tarnished so they go the extra mile to make things right when a customer does have a problem (as evidenced by JonM's recent problem with a third party add-on). I just don't remember hearing of any unresolved issues.

I never had to call BCM's customer support while with my ArmaLite I did many times. (To be fair, ArmaLite did resolve the problems but only after I got ahold of someone competent. I don't think I would have got that kind of runaround at BCM.)

No doubt BCM's overall high quality and customer support make for satisfied customers and few complaints. I don't see how you can go wrong. In fact the biggest problem is when demand is high it can take a while for items to get back in stock.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Ive got a bcm my wife has one now too. Replaced her dpms with it which is now resigned to getting brutalized by the 458socom.

The only complaint i have with bcm is they dont offer a target or varmint type ar15. They also dont offer a service rifle varient capable of competeing in service rifle matches. What i mean by competing is not that you cant run one of their A2 its that its not accurate enough in regards to sight adjustments and general accuracy for that level.

If i was going to branch out from bcm it would likely be the colt 901

But you cant stay milspec and achieve precision shooting and milspec is bcm's trademark. Its a minor thing but i like bcm and it would be cool to sell my rra national match and buy a bcm national match

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #19

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A rifle used by the "service" and extremely accurate. I'm not real familiar w/ "Service Rifle" competitions but from what I've see the rifles used aren't really rifles set-up as they are used by the service.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SPR-Mk-12-Upper-Receiver-Half-Groups-s/131.htm

Last edited by MikeJK; 07-10-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
A rifle used by the "service" and extremely accurate. I'm not real familiar w/ "Service Rifle" competitions but from what I've see the rifles used aren't really rifles set-up as they are used by the service.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SPR-Mk-12-Upper-Receiver-Half-Groups-s/131.htm
Service rifle follows rules set by the cmp. Unfortunately the mk12 wouldnt meet the qualifications not because of any accuracy issues good or bad but because it doesnt meet the a2/a4 layout. I think the cmp is going to allow m4 formats in the near future.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...