looking for my first AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > looking for my first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking for my first AR

Looking into buying my first AR style rifle. Ive heard a bunch of names come up but I just have not had the time to research the best brand to start with. Ive heard Rock River Arms is a great brand along with a couple others but I want to hear personal opinions. about other brands as well.
Im really interested in Stag arms, Knights Armament, Colt, Panther Dpms and any other good ones i can get opinions about. Price isnt my main concern because im not trying to save money but i dont want to waste money either....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rock River makes really good products and they always have good sales going on, as they do now:
Rock River Arms: SUPER SALE! RRA LAR-15 Operator2 Series

Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #3

As long as your doing research you should look at Daniel Defense. They offer the best value per dollar in my opinion. I have seen them advertised for as little as $1150. Doing the research is half the fun, take your time. I would also recomend Colt and BCM. There are some great deals on ARs dont pay retail, shop around. Dont go with what your dealer has unless its just what you want. He can order you that one model that suits you after youve done your research. Good luck

Old 11-07-2010, 03:04 AM   #4

I am a firm beleaver in building the AR you want. That way you don't have to tie yourself to one brand. You can make the AR what ever you want. I have a some factory rifles but I enjoy my custom builds the most.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #5

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Sorry but you just have to make time for research and lots of it or you'll end up unhappy with the choice you made. We can help and make suggestions but we're all coming from our own bias and don't know what you want. I really think it takes weeks or longer to get up to speed enough to make a decision you'll be happy with in a year.

Let's start with: What do you plan to use the rifle for?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've always said I'm going to build one but have not done it yet. I did pick up a Double Star Star 15 and I have had a blast with that rifle. The one I got was a plain carry handle M4gery but that's kind of what I was looking for at the time. it's scary accurate and been 100% reliable. They make several other flavors of AR and have a pretty nice custom rifles too. Well worth checking out their page. Prices are pretty good and every other rifle I've seen from them have been good ones.

I just thought I'd put a different name in the hat other than the ones usually named in threads like this. The about us page on their site has some pretty interesting info about the company.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

An intended use would help greatly like others have stated. Not having that info Id say a BCM would cover all bases. As soon as you decide what youre going to use it for then you can decide what type of barrel, stock, optic, rail system and so on.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmar View Post
I am a firm beleaver in building the AR you want. That way you don't have to tie yourself to one brand. You can make the AR what ever you want. I have a some factory rifles but I enjoy my custom builds the most.
i would have to agree with the above. when i first found this site i was looking at a sig 556. now i have gone a totally different route. i curently have 2 lowers from a local company and am waiting on my tax return to get my upper. all said and dont mine will be a magpul, JD machine, BCM, Daniel Defense and probably some other parts on there i havent seen yet.

really depends on what you want it for and the style that you want. personally i like a flat top upper with the monlithic style rail. you may like the old a2 style. research is your best friend in this and just about any situation.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #9

Check out the Stickied threads at the top of the AR-15 page. There there is some great information on figuring out what you are looking for, and ideas for building your own.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

The only difference is the parts used and the detail to build. Many manufacturers are mass production and some use the assembly line process. Weapons like Rock River Arms with their Ltd. Lifetime Warranty, Sabre Defence who also is not cheap but build a Cadillac AR, Stag, LMT and a few others still build them at the bench using skilled builders. For the $$$ the Rock River Elite or Tactical CAR A-4 with the 2 stage NM Trigger, RRA Rubber Pistol Grip, Side Sling Swivel and other features that are standard is one of the top rifles in the industry. As well as Sabre Defence Industries highest quality. I have heard they have ARs in various versions in stock for immediate delivery. I ran into one of their factory people two weeks ago at an event.
I recently had them build me a new Sabre 6.5 Grendel in a Lightweight Competition Fluted 18" Barrel. And it is fantastic. I also own 4 RRAs, Colt and other AR Rifles. Good luck with your selection but do not let $$$ be your final deciding factor. You get what you pay for regarding quality.