Looking for a long range ar10 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for a long range ar10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 03:21 AM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

The 6.5 Creedmoor,260 Remington,or even the 7mm-08 would be a better choice of caliber for shooting 1k yards.
I've been very happy with my DPMS LR-260H,but I bought this model strictly for a hunting rifle,not for over 600 yards. I wanted an AR-10 platform rifle,that was shorter and lighter weight,so I went with this one. If DPMS offered the same rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor,I would've bought one,but they only offer it in a 24" heavy barreled set-up.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 AM   #12

Liked 2546 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

There's an AR10 that's "short-range"?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #13

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I currently have the recon 308. Its a great rifle but I don't feel it will reach out past 600 accurately

Sent from my LGMS500 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Why not just get another upper half for your Recon? How far have you pushed the Recon? What features do you see in a SASS to get you to 1000 yds? Identify those features and look for them in another upper.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
There's an AR10 that's "short-range"?
I don't know about that,but I use mine at shorter ranges kill'n hogs,deer,and other critters. I'll shoot it at longer ranges for fun shooting my metal gongs,but that's not why I purchased mine.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 03-14-2014, 04:11 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've dealt with AR-10s just enough to offer some decent advice, but not enough to be taken as any sort of expert. The AR-10 market is tricky. You need to do a fair amount of personal homework in order acheive the performance you desire within most mortal budgets. Here's a few general points worth considering:

• Everything doesn't fit from one brand to the next. Schemes and designs vary, as do the mags and accessories that will fit them.

• An AR-10 can be a legit 1000yd rifle. Or it can struggle with consistency beyond 200.

• Like most 308's (with a 1:10-12 twist), 168gr match ammo seems to be the sweet spot.

• You can spend $1000 or $6000. There are good guns for $1K, but few among them will be precise at 1K yards.

• If you want repeatable precision beyond 500yds, you're looking at $2-4K with accessories and glass. I'm sure there are some rifles (and shooters) that can do better with less...but that's hardly the norm.

An FN SCAR 17s with a 4X ACOG seems like a pretty ideal AR-10 setup for my tastes. But that's about $4000. So when I spring for a $2K (more within reach for me) 308 setup I'm kinda leaning toward an M1A at the moment. That's just what suits me. I probably lack the skill, time, necessity, and persistence to become a competent 500-1000yd shooter. So an M1A would essentially out-shoot my own abilities for the foreseeable future. YMMV.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #16

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Well axxe gave me some very sound advice, I'm not going to just grab a rifle and jump to 1k, I'm going to crawl before I take baby steps. My first rifle of choice was the armalite sass. The a series take 3 party mags. It tgen I looked into the gap 10 and I'm on the fence between the two. In the mean time I'm selling a few guns to get the set up I want. I'm torn between some fine glass as well. But after I tinker with them I'll find what fits.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #17

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

[QUOTE=sweeper22;1529790]I've dealt with AR-10s just enough to offer some decent advice, but not enough to be taken as any sort of expert. The AR-10 market is tricky. You need to do a fair amount of personal homework in order acheive the performance you desire within most mortal budgets. Here's a few general points worth considering:

• Everything doesn't fit from one brand to the next. Schemes and designs vary, as do the mags and accessories that will fit them.

• An AR-10 can be a legit 1000yd rifle. Or it can struggle with consistency beyond 200.

• Like most 308's (with a 1:10-12 twist), 168gr match ammo seems to be the sweet spot.

• You can spend $1000 or $6000. There are good guns for $1K, but few among them will be precise at 1K yards.

• If you want repeatable precision beyond 500 yds, you're looking at $2-4K with accessories and glass. I'm sure there are some rifles (and shooters) that can do better with less...but that's hardly the norm.
[QUOTE]

Sweeper is right; the manufacturers of .308 AR platform rifles aren't too forthcoming about which parts are compatible with their gun, as they want to be your only supplier. DPMS and Armalite are the two biggest manufacturers of the .308 AR's, and you would be better off looking for something that is compatible with one or the other. More MFR's are compatible with DPMS than any other, even though Armalite had the original AR10. Bushmaster had one at one time, but lost interest and sold their configuration to Rock River Arms. This is one of the reasons I haven't fooled around with the .308. No across the board standards.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by fsted2a; 03-16-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #18

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
This is one of the reasons I haven't fooled around with the .308. No across the board standards.
I never quite understand this mindset.

You can't interchange parts between Sako, Browning, Remington, and Winchester bolt rifles.

You can't interchange parts between an FN SCAR17 and any other manufacturer. You can't interchange parts with an HK 91 and other rifles - so why is this a mandatory feature for the AR10 style rifle?

The fact is - multi-manufacturer parts interchangeability with AR10 style rifles is NOT a feature of the that kind of rifle. You either accept the fact that AR10 style .308's are manufacturer-specific and get on with owning one - or you set up a metric for acceptance that cannot be met and complain about it when reality doesn't meet expectations.

I own a Les Baer .308 Sniper and when I bought it only expected that it would accept MagPul .308 magazines, and a few other Magpul parts; which is exactly the same as I would expect buying a bolt rifle, SCAR17, or HK 91. I have no expectations of swapping parts in and out of it from multiple manufacturers.

If you're waiting for some entity to setup "standards" that every AR .308 will conform to - you're going to have to get a service branch to write a formal Mil-Spec standard; put out a request for proposal for a rifle to meet the Mil-Spec; issue a request for quotation for a contract; and finally - issue a contract for a substantial amount of rifles.

You figure that's going to happen any time soon? I don't.

If you want the features available in the AR10 style rifle, then you choose the manufacturer / rifle you like best and just go with it.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 03-16-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #19

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post

You can't interchange parts between Sako, Browning, Remington, and Winchester bolt rifles.

You can't interchange parts between an FN SCAR17 and any other manufacturer. You can't interchange parts with an HK 91 and other rifles - so why is this a mandatory feature for the AR10 style rifle?

The fact is - multi-manufacturer parts interchangeability with AR10 style rifles is NOT a feature of the that kind of rifle. You either accept the fact that AR10 style .308's are manufacturer-specific and get on with owning one - or you set up a metric for acceptance that cannot be met and complain about it when reality doesn't meet expectations.

I own a Les Baer .308 Sniper and when I bought it only expected that it would accept MagPul .308 magazines, and a few other Magpul parts; which is exactly the same as I would expect buying a bolt rifle, SCAR17, or HK 91. I have no expectations of swapping parts in and out of it from multiple manufacturers.

If you're waiting for some entity to setup "standards" that every AR .308 will conform to - you're going to have to get a service branch to write a formal Mil-Spec standard; put out a request for proposal for a rifle to meet the Mil-Spec; issue a request for quotation for a contract; and finally - issue a contract for a substantial amount of rifles.

If you want the features available in the AR10 style rifle, then you choose the manufacturer / rifle you like best and just go with it.
The reason I want to stay with at platform is that there are so many modifications That can be done to. There are tons of ar15 parts that work with ar10. I'm not at all worried about the minor things. But if I did get a sass It would be the a series so my options are open on mags

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #20

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post

buckhorn, I think you misunderstood me. I like to add accessories to my AR's, and I probably have 20 different manufacturers parts on one gun. The AR15's parts are all interchangeable, irregardless of the brand. For as much money as .308 parts are, I would want to be sure in advance of compatibility with the firearm in question. I still toss the idea in my head every now and again about owning one. I just haven't committed to it at this time.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin