Looking into new guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking into new guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking into new guns

Currently looking into the ruger sr 556, their new AR style rifle, what are ya'lls opinions on this weapon?

And looking into the Springfield xd-m 9mm ,19+1 rds. really liking this pistol just by the research Ive done. thoughts?

Peace through superior firepower

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

had a sr556 hated it and was happy as hell to trade it off. i thought it was unbalanced and clumsy. much better ar15 out there for half the price. not worth the ruger label.

xdm 9mm superb handgun. my wife has one. i dont like 9mm but i love her xdm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sad to hear that was your experience with the ruger, what were your thoughts on its operating system?

do you know of any good places to get a good price for the springfield?

Peace through superior firepower

Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5704 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

Spend a few extra bucks and get a Colt. Remember, with the Colt name, it will keep it's resale value if you ever need to sell or trade it.

And, of course, it's one of the very best as well.

I prefer the LE 6940, but the less expensive LE6920 will also serve you well.

Just my opinion for whatever it's worth, but I'd avoid the Ruger.

Winston Churchill

Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

there are a couple folks round here that have and love the sr556. its just my personal opinion. i have more than a few ruger firearms and the ones i have i truly enjoy but i think they read too many forum posts and combined all the most half-baked ideas they found to make the sr556

as for the piston vs di thing i like direct gas system better. simple no moving parts easy to clean. as for what runs dirty or clean it just depends on where you want the gunk. i just find it much easier to yank a bcg wipe it down with a cloth re-oil and its good to go. piston you need to fiddle around with small parts and tools to get to the innards for cleaning. i run my ar15 using 30w motor oil it doesnt dry up under heat and use so the carbon never really adheres to the metal and a simply wipe down takes care of it.

even the junky old dpms runs just fine in that manner. my ar15s consist of bravo company colt dpms and rock river arms. my colt is an old sp1 from the early 80's.

whether you get a ruger or some other type of AR whether its a piston or DI it still needs to be properly lubed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

Liked 1130 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

My buddy sold his BCM for the new found SR556. He now has it for sale to buy another BCM. Should just kept what he had and been happy. I shot it and other than cosmetically and the name it was just another AR. Personally I wouldn't spend the cash for no more than what u truly get. I own other Ruger hand guns and love them but their AR just wasn't special to me

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-21-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
My buddy sold his BCM for the new found SR556. He now has it for sale to buy another BCM. Should just kept what he had and been happy. I shot it and other than cosmetically and the name it was just another AR. Personally I wouldn't spend the cash for no more than what u truly get. I own other Ruger hand guns and love them but their AR just wasn't special to me
I'm happy with my Sr556 but am interested in picking up a new upper. Is there anyone out there that has experience with installing a non-Ruger upper. Will it still function? Looking at a 6.5 vs the 6.8spc that is offered by Ruger. The 6.5 is a better round past 300 .