Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking into my first AR, looking for feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Looking into my first AR, looking for feedback

So Ive been a pistol guy for the majority of my shooting life, and finally looking into the wonderful world of AR style rifles.

Ive been looking them up for months now, considering doing a build or just starting off with a plain Jane AR to get familiar with. By my math, the savings on an AR build plus the anxiety of screwing it up and being overwhelmed by all the moving parts just isnt worth it to me. I personally think I need to feel the gun, explore it in its assembled state and learn how to break it down for cleaning and personal knowledge of the gun.

My budget is around $750 and again I am fine with a very stock rifle to begin with. Later, I can start doing upgrades and dress it up. I actually prefer iron sights to begin with before dabbling in all the fancy optics out there. After some careful consideration, I am leaning towards:

• Mossberg MMR Hunter series AR-15 with 20" barrel, fixed buttstock, 7lbs, and flat top rail for $690.

• Bushmaster XM-15E2S with 15" M4 barrel. A2 front sight base. Collapsable Buttstock. A1 upper receiver with fixed carry handle and rear sight for $735

If you were me.....what would be your suggestions? Leaning heavily towards the Bushmaster but not sure if Im going to hate those raised sights or not. I currently own a Kel-Tec PLR-16 which is the 9" .223 pistol and I'm pretty familiar with the gun and how it breaks down & functions. Although its closer to an AK with the gas piston tube. Thanks in advance

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 12-12-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

20 views, no feedback? Thought this place was AR-15 central man....cmon!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd go with a Smith & Wesson sport model
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

The MSRP is $739 BUT you can pick them up for around $689 and up. It's a nice rifle and a good starter.

"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997

Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #4

Hmmmm how did I miss that??
I like those specs, and the price, thanks for the suggestion. As you can tell, Im green when it comes at ARs. Ive owned and shot S&W and stand by their quality.....this M&P sport sounds great

Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 943 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 932

The Bushmaster and Mossberg just don't make the cut as far as I'm concerned. Are you sure you want a fixed carry handle? An A4 style flat top makes much more sense. And which barrel length do you really want? I'd read the AR-15 Primer very carefully before selecting a barrel profile and other configurations.

With a budget of $750 you're going to love what PSA offers in that range. The problem these days is finding what you want in stock. Many of us piece together an AR and PSA has a 12 Days of Christmas sale going on now. They have a very nice 16" LW/pencil midlength upper right now for $319 with free shipping. You'd need the BCG, charging handle, rear sight and of course a complete lower receiver to complete the upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh Quentin, sorry no free shipping on the pencil unless something has changed. They charged me 15.00. The LBK on the first day for 80.00 was free shipping, but I believe that promo ended. Pencils out of stock as of last nite too. This is a bad time to build one of these things, as I am finding out. BTW, thanx for your help, tk

Old 12-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

Liked 943 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 932

Thanks TK12, you're right - $15 shipping on that PSA upper. I was thinking free shipping on all the 12 Days sale because their LBK was free shipping. Still a great deal and I know you'll love your new upper! Excellent choice.

Yeah, a real hard time to complete a build. Hope you can get the rest of your parts soon.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Ive been looking them up for months now, considering doing a build or just starting off with a plain Jane AR to get familiar with. By my math, the savings on an AR build plus the anxiety of screwing it up and being overwhelmed by all the moving parts just isnt worth it to me. I personally think I need to feel the gun, explore it in its assembled state and learn how to break it down for cleaning and personal knowledge of the gun.
Don't worry about screwing it up, you'll be fine. I had barely touched an AR before I built mine, and I haven't had any problems that you could really call a problem. There are step by step instructions out there that make assembling one insanely easy. You'll still have anxiety though. Anxiety due to not being able to wait until it's done.
I only had to order one tool to assemble mine (stock wench aka castle nut wrench), the rest are pretty common and you may already have them. The hardest part about building one is deciding what parts you want, finding them, and staying within budget. I am convinced that I will never buy a complete AR now because building one is much funner.
I hear the upper can be a little harder to assemble, but if you buy a complete upper, you won't have to worry about that.

If you are set on buying a complete one, I recommend PSA.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought a upper and put the lower together. It was really easy took and about 45 min to have a working rifle start to finish. The you tube video posted in the stickies is what I watched. Goes through it step by step. I had never even seen an ar in person when I put mine together nor had I taken any gun apart. My kit was a PSA. Quality stuff