looking for info on this barrel - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > looking for info on this barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
better check again, as far as i know all rimfire are outlawed for deer in all states
Legal Firearms & Archery Equipment | Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations | eRegulations.com

Straight from the DNR in Georgia:

Deer & Bear Firearms

Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets.
Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs or buckshot. Buckshot is not allowed on WMAs, unless otherwise specified.
Muzzleloaders: .44-cal. or larger, or muzzleloading shotguns 20 gauge or larger. Scopes are legal.
Primitive Weapons: Legal weapons during primitive weapons season include crossbows, bow and arrow, and muzzleloading firearm. Scopes are legal.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I can understand that too, but aesthetics play a part in my decision as well.

An 18" barrel would look down right silly in my set up

More silly than a magwell grip on a rifle w/ a 24" barrel?

Heres an 18" barrel on an AR. White Oaks 1:7 SPR profile rifle length SS barrel. The cantilever mount takes away the need for maxing out the LOP adjustment on stocks.

Like Tactical mentioned 18" is a nice length. There's even reports that 18" is ideal for .308.

Once again, we are just trying to help by answering the question you asked using the info we have gathered through many many hours of research. Believe me if a 24" barrel was a better choice the rifle above would have one on it.

Last edited by mjkeat; 09-28-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #23

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

That does look very nice, I just love the look of the longer barrel. Its not like it hurts any thing. If I was to move the scope that far forward my cheek would be to far forward to use the cheekrest, but u are right about the LOP. If u didn't need the cheek riser or the stock adjustments what made u go for that stock instead of one like this

I had one before and there great, very solid and the mono pod has more adjustment than any other I have seen. But the cheek riser system on here is a lil odd.

The magwell grip again is personal tastes, it just happens to be where i Iike my off hand when shooting off the bipod.
im going back and forth on replacing the rereceiveret to this on that precision build
LWSF Matched Billet Upper and Lower Pair - LOKI Weapon Systems
just don't know if its worth the $$$, but damn I love the looks of this set

Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH1961 View Post
Legal Firearms & Archery Equipment | Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations | eRegulations.com

Straight from the DNR in Georgia:

Deer & Bear Firearms

Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets.
Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs or buckshot. Buckshot is not allowed on WMAs, unless otherwise specified.
Muzzleloaders: .44-cal. or larger, or muzzleloading shotguns 20 gauge or larger. Scopes are legal.
Primitive Weapons: Legal weapons during primitive weapons season include crossbows, bow and arrow, and muzzleloading firearm. Scopes are legal.
Deer & Bear Firearms
•Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets.

"""""""CENTERFIRE ONLY"""""""" meaning .22lr would be illeagal

Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you.

The cheek piece looks way to far to the rear.

Your off-hand would be of better use on the stock holding it firmly into your shoulder in order to stablize the rifle better

I understand personal taste but personally I don't let it get in the way of performance. Theres a reason you're looking for a lighter weight barrel, correct?

As far as the receiver combo, they look nice but I don't see what the offer that you can't get from a forged set. The machined in magwell grip from my experience is not an ideal grip. There are others such as the support arm fully extended on the HG or on the stock as stated before.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Thank you.

The cheek piece looks way to far to the rear.

Your off-hand would be of better use on the stock holding it firmly into your shoulder in order to stablize the rifle better

I understand personal taste but personally I don't let it get in the way of performance. Theres a reason you're looking for a lighter weight barrel, correct?

As far as the receiver combo, they look nice but I don't see what the offer that you can't get from a forged set. The machined in magwell grip from my experience is not an ideal grip. There are others such as the support arm fully extended on the HG or on the stock as stated before.
better fit design between upper and lower, also its far thicker for better rigitidy, wich would be a good idea if i leave the heavy bull barrel on it. also i like for it to look a lil differnt than any one elses

Old 09-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #27

MJ, that is a sweet looking firearm. I see lots of things that will add up...sadly, that means I have to put them on hold!!

Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
better fit design between upper and lower, also its far thicker for better rigitidy, wich would be a good idea if i leave the heavy bull barrel on it. also i like for it to look a lil differnt than any one elses
Fit is nice but it has no real effect on accuracy.

Go for it if thats what you want. I have never seen them before so you'll have an uncommon set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH1961 View Post
MJ, that is a sweet looking firearm. I see lots of things that will add up...sadly, that means I have to put them on hold!!
Thank you.

Save up over time. No need to hurry and get anything that doesnt work for you.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #29

Oh, I will. Problem is, I see a strong similarity in taste of firearms. Most of what is in that pic is what I have already planned for a rainy day.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The Larue stuff is costly but top shelf. Hindsight I would have liked to have found some of the stuff slightly used but it was cool getting all the swag. There is absolutely no shame in purchasing from the Equipment Exchanges on this and other forums.