You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

looking for info on this barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith View Post
Difference in what...ballistics? Accuracy? There shouldn't be a big change in ballistics...muzzle velocity increase or decrease will depend on twist rate and type of rifling as you are only swapping out a barrel of the same length. Accuracy wise, I wouldn't be concerned with ER Shaw, they are good barrels. But, if it's a big concern for you, you might be better off looking at something from White Oak Armament...just my 2 cents.
Just looked at there site, all I seen was stainless barrels.

im not stuck on er shaw, I am only concerned with accuracy and I want to keep my 1:8 twist and the 24" length, but I want a black heavy fluted/threaded barrel instead of this

This is the barrel I do have now
24 Inch Stainless Steel Bull Barrel: American Spirit Arms - Precision Firearms - AR15, M16 Rifle, M4 Carbine

Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The barrel you listed in your OP was chrome lined.

It feels like you're getting in your own way.

1:8 is a good twist I feel 1:7 would be better but it depends on the ammo you will use. SS is going to afford you the best chances at the most accurate rifle. Some manufacturers coat their SS barrels or you can have it coated.

Is there a reason other than "want" why you have your eye's on such a long barrel? Even the .mil realized 18" is a great length for a 5.56 longer range AR.

Your money but, there are a lot of more experienced people out there who really like the 18" SS barrel. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #13

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith View Post
No I wouldn't. If you are looking to get a 6.8 SPC I would recommend AR Performance, Bison Armory, or Noveske. Having the correct barrel specs is important with this caliber and those three do it right and contribute to the development and advancement of the round performance.

Also, for anybody interested in the 6.8 SPC I would google 68forums and start reading all the info.
Well crap. I was wanting to build the 6.8 as a hunting rifle. Now, however, I've went on the road and done some digging. Can't find the ammo at any of my local stores, costs a dollar a round when you order it.
Did some research and seems a .223 is considered an adequate deer gun for ranges under 200 yds (Georgia Deer. Not that massive, and I won't shoot over 150.)
So...debating between the two. What says the wiser AR folk? .223 or 6.8 SPC and order the bullets?
I like the idea of the .223 because the ammo is plentiful, I can spend a good bit of time at the range and get it tweaked to just where I want it, but I like the 6.8 SPC for sheer stopping power.
I'm open to advice. (And no, I can't afford to build one of each.)

Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #14

the faster the bullet is moving the flatter it will fly, thats why i like the 24" for long range. the military likes the 18" for its weight and protability. it was my mistake for not saying any thing about the chrome lineing in my OP.

I guess my real question is.

Is a bull barrel worth the extra weight, as far a accuracy is concerned? I know that bull barrels are good if firing shot after shot for accuracy, but for simple cold bore shots does it really matter.

To the guy wanting to hunt with an AR, .223 will drop any thing u want it to with the proper shot placement. If u have an accurate rifle go for head or neck.
There is nothing wrong with .223 for deer, a .22lr will take a deer out to 100 yards, I don't recommend doing that but it can.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually the research on barrel length has been done already, you can probably just google something like...Barrel length 18 vs 24 and find it directly

What the gentleman in it said was that he was firing with precision at long ranges from a bolt action rifle with a 20 inch+ barrel and then had the barrel shortened to 18 inches and noticed no reduction in accuracy at average ranges of less than 1000 yards.

Obviously if you're shooting over 1000 yards you want all that you can get out of the round and you need that length but on your platform you wont need that. IN some cases a longer barrel can have the opposite effects on smaller bullets, making the harmonic wave at the barrel tip more exaggerated since there is more room for it to move top to bottom and never exceed barrel flex tolerances.

I'm not sure how to reference this in a practical example..kind of like when you're on a shorter diving board it will flex less than a longer one, or rather it will Flex at the same rate but seem like its flexing more because it can acheive a greater angle at the same curve. Same idea just in a barrel. All the Fluting and spiraling and all that they do is to reduce the flex on a barrel that NEEDS to be that long, but if you can do it with an 18inch it will naturally be more stable and then add in the extra effects and you increase stability further.

To the gentleman wanting to deer hunt, in some places a .223/5.56mm is Illegal to Deer Hunt with as it is too small a round, here in KS it's a .240 at minimum.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 09-27-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: reference.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
Actually the research on barrel length has been done already, you can probably just google something like...Barrel length 18 vs 24 and find it directly

What the gentleman in it said was that he was firing with precision at long ranges from a bolt action rifle with a 20 inch+ barrel and then had the barrel shortened to 18 inches and noticed no reduction in accuracy at average ranges of less than 1000 yards.

Obviously if you're shooting over 1000 yards you want all that you can get out of the round and you need that length but on your platform you wont need that. IN some cases a longer barrel can have the opposite effects on smaller bullets, making the harmonic wave at the barrel tip more exaggerated since there is more room for it to move top to bottom and never exceed barrel flex tolerances.

I'm not sure how to reference this in a practical example..kind of like when you're on a shorter diving board it will flex less than a longer one, or rather it will Flex at the same rate but seem like its flexing more because it can acheive a greater angle at the same curve. Same idea just in a barrel. All the Fluting and spiraling and all that they do is to reduce the flex on a barrel that NEEDS to be that long, but if you can do it with an 18inch it will naturally be more stable and then add in the extra effects and you increase stability further.

To the gentleman wanting to deer hunt, in some places a .223/5.56mm is Illegal to Deer Hunt with as it is too small a round, here in KS it's a .240 at minimum.
I can understand that too, but aesthetics play a part in my decision as well.

An 18" barrel would look down right silly in my set up

looking for info on this barrel - AR-15 Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #17

Any one got a link for just the barrel for the Bushmaster Varminter.

Its an extra heavy 24" fluted carbon barrel that many are claiming 1/4moa out of.

I just can't find a link for one. Bushmaster website has it but only available with there float tube too which I don't need.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #18

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post

While I think it's stupid, in Georgia you can legally use a .22lr for deer.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #19

better check again, as far as i know all rimfire are outlawed for deer in all states

Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
Any one got a link for just the barrel for the Bushmaster Varminter.

Its an extra heavy 24" fluted carbon barrel that many are claiming 1/4moa out of.

I just can't find a link for one. Bushmaster website has it but only available with there float tube too which I don't need.
never mind i found one, this is what i am going to try, if it works i can sell my barrel for what that one cost, i will just have it threaded before its installed

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Bushmaster_Barrels/62/c