looking for info on this barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > looking for info on this barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default looking for info on this barrel

Model 1 Sales: 5.56 24-inch Tactical Barrel

I like the look of it, but how does it perform.

Do any of you know of some thing like this.

24" black heavy barrel fluted/threaded

I want some thing like this but I wander if it would be as good as my 24" stainless bull barrel.....wich Is very heavy.

If this barrel or one like it could do the same as my bull barrel (cold bore) than it would be nice to lose some weight and make it possible to shoot from the shoulder

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I wouldn't do chrome lined in a barrel geared toward accuracy.

White Oak Armament might produce better results for you.

I don't know about the other guys but I tend to shy away from anything over 20" for a 5.56/.223 barrel, to heavy and IMO no real benifit over an 18" SPR type rifle.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One area I simply don't want to scrimp on is, obviously, the barrel. I think I've limited it to one of three.

https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/18-inch-chf-barrels/18-6-8mm-s2w-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/choosing.php?mode=choose

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/choosing.php?mode=choose

That's the three I am currently looking at. Any recommendations/complaints about those companies/barrels?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I wouldn't do chrome lined in a barrel geared toward accuracy.

White Oak Armament might produce better results for you.

I don't know about the other guys but I tend to shy away from anything over 20" for a 5.56/.223 barrel, to heavy and IMO no real benifit over an 18" SPR type rifle.
i dont want shiny

Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

Not what he meant. The inside of the barrel itself is chromed to assist with bullet flight and barrel length, not saying the barrel is chromed.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #6

It looks like you missed the most important part of the description on the Model 1 website...that is an ER Shaw barrel. From what I've seen, read, and heard ER Shaw barrels are known for shooting MOA right out of the box.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith View Post
It looks like you missed the most important part of the description on the Model 1 website...that is an ER Shaw barrel. From what I've seen, read, and heard ER Shaw barrels are known for shooting MOA right out of the box.
vmkeith, would you go for the barrel I selected above or one of the following?

Model 1 Sales: 6.8 Rem SPC Dissipator Barrel

Anyone else wants to chime in, I'm all ears. I consider this the heart and soul, because if the barrel sucks you can't hit a fat chick at a candy aisle.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

No I wouldn't. If you are looking to get a 6.8 SPC I would recommend AR Performance, Bison Armory, or Noveske. Having the correct barrel specs is important with this caliber and those three do it right and contribute to the development and advancement of the round performance.

Also, for anybody interested in the 6.8 SPC I would google 68forums and start reading all the info.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #9

I know I don't want chrome lined, and yes I was asking about E.R.Shaw, im thinking of making my precision rifle lose some weight.

Hence heavy profile instead of the bull barrel I got now.

That said I was only asking if some one knew how much of a difference I would get going from a 24" bull barrel, to a 24" heavy fluted barrel.

Also going from stainless to carbon steel.

I really like the look of this barrel. Just the look, and weight, not the chrome lined. Also I want a threaded muzzle for the suppressor I will be investing in.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #10

Difference in what...ballistics? Accuracy? There shouldn't be a big change in ballistics...muzzle velocity increase or decrease will depend on twist rate and type of rifling as you are only swapping out a barrel of the same length. Accuracy wise, I wouldn't be concerned with ER Shaw, they are good barrels. But, if it's a big concern for you, you might be better off looking at something from White Oak Armament...just my 2 cents.