Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for a good base model AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Looking for a good base model AR-15

Hey Folks

Im looking to purchase a good low price AR-15 to customize, its my first AR and so far I've been looking at the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical

any suggestions? I'm kinda new to all these brands

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Indy search through the AR forum, there are numerous times this has been asked. Bottom line is there are several options, the best of which is to build your own. WIth the lack of lowers and parts though, it may (IMO) be a better optionm now to buy an inexpensive complete rifle. Depends on what you want it for is the bottom line. If you build it you can make it exactly the way you want it. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Indy:

The RRA is a nice choice, but be ready for a long wait time. I ordered my RRA Elite Comp model in early August, and 6 months later, I still do not know when I'll see it.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Hey Indy search through the AR forum, there are numerous times this has been asked. Bottom line is there are several options, the best of which is to build your own. WIth the lack of lowers and parts though, it may (IMO) be a better option now to buy an inexpensive complete rifle.
Quoted For Truth.

Search through the AR Part of the Forum. This has been covered and recovered and covered again for the sake of what's happening now.

A receiver is a receiver - If you plan on customizing it yourself with better parts down the line, getting any of the qualifying guns will be a fine choice. Don't get sucked into mortaging the house to have the name brand, underneath the shiny stamp on the side of the gun, they are all pretty much the same.

In all honesty, take any of the production guns, down to the part to part comparison and there is probably a 15% difference. The craftsmanship on the higher end guns is probably a little better, but only because they have a better finished product to install. Some guy who assembling guns at Olympic Arms could do the same job at RRA without any new "specialized" training.

JD

Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Indy:

The RRA is a nice choice, but be ready for a long wait time. I ordered my RRA Elite Comp model in early August, and 6 months later, I still do not know when I'll see it.
WTF...this is crazy wait...man I hope the buying hysteria calms a bit because I finally sold my house (got married last year and moved in with the missus) and she told me when it sold we could buy rifles (yes she is wonderful...benefits to marrying a Marine). I been waiting to get house sold for disposable funds, and now I'm going to be waiting on production...6+ months?!...I sure hope the Dem's stay chill long enough for the buying fever to calm down and production to catch up.

That being said I think the Rock River is a good choice in bang-for-your-buck factor. I was looking at RRA or CMMG. Can't decide between 1/9 or 1/7, so I figured I would get the SS barrel with 1/8 twist they both offer. Good Luck with your purchase.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill