Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Looking for a good base model AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/looking-good-base-model-ar-15-a-10763/)

indyfan 02-10-2009 06:35 AM

Looking for a good base model AR-15

Hey Folks

Im looking to purchase a good low price AR-15 to customize, its my first AR and so far I've been looking at the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical

any suggestions? I'm kinda new to all these brands

hillbilly68 02-10-2009 12:57 PM

Hey Indy search through the AR forum, there are numerous times this has been asked. Bottom line is there are several options, the best of which is to build your own. WIth the lack of lowers and parts though, it may (IMO) be a better optionm now to buy an inexpensive complete rifle. Depends on what you want it for is the bottom line. If you build it you can make it exactly the way you want it. Good luck!

TXnorton 02-11-2009 12:10 PM

Indy:

The RRA is a nice choice, but be ready for a long wait time. I ordered my RRA Elite Comp model in early August, and 6 months later, I still do not know when I'll see it.

Dillinger 02-11-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 69902)
Hey Indy search through the AR forum, there are numerous times this has been asked. Bottom line is there are several options, the best of which is to build your own. WIth the lack of lowers and parts though, it may (IMO) be a better option now to buy an inexpensive complete rifle.

Quoted For Truth.

Search through the AR Part of the Forum. This has been covered and recovered and covered again for the sake of what's happening now.

A receiver is a receiver - If you plan on customizing it yourself with better parts down the line, getting any of the qualifying guns will be a fine choice. Don't get sucked into mortaging the house to have the name brand, underneath the shiny stamp on the side of the gun, they are all pretty much the same.

In all honesty, take any of the production guns, down to the part to part comparison and there is probably a 15% difference. The craftsmanship on the higher end guns is probably a little better, but only because they have a better finished product to install. Some guy who assembling guns at Olympic Arms could do the same job at RRA without any new "specialized" training.

JD

Bighead 02-17-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 70181)
Indy:

The RRA is a nice choice, but be ready for a long wait time. I ordered my RRA Elite Comp model in early August, and 6 months later, I still do not know when I'll see it.

WTF...this is crazy wait...man I hope the buying hysteria calms a bit because I finally sold my house (got married last year and moved in with the missus) and she told me when it sold we could buy rifles (yes she is wonderful...benefits to marrying a Marine). I been waiting to get house sold for disposable funds, and now I'm going to be waiting on production...6+ months?!...I sure hope the Dem's stay chill long enough for the buying fever to calm down and production to catch up.

That being said I think the Rock River is a good choice in bang-for-your-buck factor. I was looking at RRA or CMMG. Can't decide between 1/9 or 1/7, so I figured I would get the SS barrel with 1/8 twist they both offer. Good Luck with your purchase.