Looking at getting my first AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking at getting my first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Looking at getting my first AR

Yep, while at the range I started to check out some ARs they had. I love ARs and really looking forward to picking one up. I don't plan to build my first. I will purchase one complete. The range I normally shoot at is only 50ft, but .223 is allowed with frangible ammo. Which is cool to me because that is where I go to shoot the pistols and it is only 10 minutes or so from my house.

I would also go to outdoor, longer ranges for the rifle as well.

I found 1k rds of Federal 223 55gr FMJ for $330. Good? Bad?

There are so many brands of ARs I feel very lost.

Most ARs i've seen at my range are around $1,100-1,500.

Any brands to definitely stay away from?

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

First off nice bike and handguns. I love me a Kimber . The debate of best and worst is so based on opinion youll never get a good answer. There are good ARs for just about every possible use you can imagine. Many guys that are into heavy use like BCM, KAC, Colt, etc.. Customer servise should something arise seems to be a big part of where one brand is better then another. Figure out what you are going to be using it for and do some research. Only you can make that decision.

The ammo is a decent price.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

First two places that is can think of off the top of my head that yous can get a bare bone AR for under $1,100

Rock River Arms:
And
DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

An Ameture does it until they can get it right, a Pro does it until they can't get it wrong

Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

mjkeat is right, only you can decide which AR to get and that requires a lot of research and defining your wants/needs. And "a lot" can mean hundreds of hours. Almost anyone who doesn't get up to speed or puts too much faith in others' opinions will end up unhappy with a snap decision. When I re-read my first threads about which AR to buy I'm glad I didn't buy anything at that time.

And if you're like many of us, after getting up to speed you may find selecting components and building your own isn't a bad idea at all. That's what I did and a year later I'm still pleased with the choices I made. If I had bought one of the rifles off the rack that I first considered I would have had to make many changes to it by now.

I'm not trying to paint a grim picture, there are many excellent choices under $1500 (and even under $1000) out there but you have to know what's right for you. Good luck and keep asking questions!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Avatar is old. Have a Kawasaki ZX6R now.

Main plan for the AR is going to be range shooting and of course zombies . More likely to run a red dot rather than a scope, but will be using iron sights for now. I plan to pick up a foregrip right off the bat. I don't mind a full stock or a 6 position stock, but the adjustable stock would have to be pinned due to law.

I want one in 5.56 so I can shoot either that or .223 safely. I'm waiting for $$ from another motorcycle I am selling and will probably pick up an AR afterwards. I plan to go around to a few shops near me to see what they have.

I really want a SCAR, but it looks like I can't own one of those I'm guessing it is because of the folding stock and flash hider.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd recommend a DPMS for what you want. I have 1 and it shoots well under 1" groups at 100 yards-scoped of course. The local shop sells the bare bones AR for around 700$.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'd recommend a DPMS for what you want. I have 1 and it shoots well under 1" groups at 100 yards-scoped of course. The local shop sells the bare bones AR for around 700$.
Would you say that is the way to go if I want to slowly change out parts, such as rails, grips, stocks, sights, etc to make it my own? I like tinkering, but don't want to take on a full build right off the bat. I would always have spares that I could pick up another lower and build one eventually.

I just asked my friend and the AR he has is a DPMS, well the lower is.

From what i've been told I can change the upper at anytime, because the serial number is on the lower.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That is correct. You can gradually change out what you want or simply pop 2 pins and change out the complete upper. I put an adjustable Jard trigger in mine as well as a new grip and free float tube. Mine is the bull barrel model.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
Thanks guys. Avatar is old. Have a Kawasaki ZX6R now.

Main plan for the AR is going to be range shooting and of course zombies . More likely to run a red dot rather than a scope, but will be using iron sights for now. I plan to pick up a foregrip right off the bat. I don't mind a full stock or a 6 position stock, but the adjustable stock would have to be pinned due to law.

I want one in 5.56 so I can shoot either that or .223 safely. I'm waiting for $$ from another motorcycle I am selling and will probably pick up an AR afterwards. I plan to go around to a few shops near me to see what they have.

I really want a SCAR, but it looks like I can't own one of those I'm guessing it is because of the folding stock and flash hider.
didn't know they came with training wheels...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington