Looking for first AR help me out
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for first AR help me out

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for first AR help me out

Im getting ready to buy my first AR, and I have been very interested the ar-57. im just wondering if this gun is worth the money, and if it has what it takes for larger game.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2467 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 1248

In my opinion the 5.7X28 would not be a good round for any game except for varmint hunting. Also the bullets used in them are restricted to be less grain than most including the 223/5.56 NATO. Check Ballistics Charts. If it is your first AR I would suggest you give a lot of thought into the 223/5.56 AR Rifle. Ammunition is easier to get and less expensive. One reason you probably want the rifle is to shoot as much as you can and enjoy it. Another issue is even the 223 or 5.56 NATO as they also are called is even marginal as far as the ultimate Deer or medium game caliber. I have made good shots on coyotes only to see them run several yards before dropping. So if I were you I would buy the 223 and maybe later if you still want the 5.7X28 you could buy a complete upper assembly for your present rifle and have both calibers.
That is the neat thing about the AR-15 platform.
You could have an original 223 AR-15 in that caliber and then buy one of the below uppers and have another caliber. I will list some of them for you.
Original 223/5.56 *Some will also require a magazine in that caliber
6.8 SPC
204 Ruger
7.62X39
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM (AR-15 223 Mag)
6.5 Grendel
and others.
So you see the AR Platform is one of the most versitile weapons out there.

Good luck on your selection. Just buy a good quality rifle and uppers.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

NO........

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

@ sniper thank you for the info. The message seems to be loud and clear from everyone that the 57 is not worth the time. To be honest I dont plan on hunting a lot and I dont spend a lot of time or money target shooting, so whatever I buy will probably sit in the safe 9 months out of the year. However if I do use it I want it to be affective. I approach most of my gun buys like important life decisions, so if you could point me in a direction of a dependable AR that wont break the bank that might really help me out here. there are just too many makes and models to process for my already cluttered brain to handle. thank you

Kyle

Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaynebb View Post
@ sniper thank you for the info. The message seems to be loud and clear from everyone that the 57 is not worth the time. To be honest I dont plan on hunting a lot and I dont spend a lot of time or money target shooting, so whatever I buy will probably sit in the safe 9 months out of the year. However if I do use it I want it to be affective. I approach most of my gun buys like important life decisions, so if you could point me in a direction of a dependable AR that wont break the bank that might really help me out here. there are just too many makes and models to process for my already cluttered brain to handle. thank you

Kyle
+1 to what Sniper said...

AND you could always buy a .22lr conversion kit for really inexpensive range days.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For rifles that won't break the bank:

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Spike's Tactical
ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

or you could always buy a Stag
Stag Arms

I own a Stag Model 2T and love it, the base model is even cheaper. (The Stag is 1:9 twist with a chrome lined barrel... however the staking of the gas key isn't exactly perfect. You will have to make the decision if that is good enough for you. FWIW, the Spike's is staked correctly out of the box)

You could always piece one together and save a bundle. It's really not that hard, even if you're all thumbs like me!!!

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Last edited by HighSpeed; 01-06-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #7

Quote:
We sell these for $759.00 and yes, they are pretty nice.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #8

If you want to hunt, another alternative is a ACC 300 Blackout AR. They run the same price is most of our other ARs and shoot a thirty Cal.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

RAR do you have .300 BLK barrels sitting around? If you could PM me a quote on a 16" 1:8 lightweight profile. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
For rifles that won't break the bank:

If I was going to go Spikes or any AR Id look into their midlength. I dont think Ill ever purchase a non SBR w/ a gas system shorter than a midlength.

Closed Thread