Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Looking for first AR help me out (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/looking-first-ar-help-me-out-36493/)

Kwaynebb 01-06-2011 06:15 AM

Looking for first AR help me out

Im getting ready to buy my first AR, and I have been very interested the ar-57. im just wondering if this gun is worth the money, and if it has what it takes for larger game.

Sniper03 01-06-2011 12:13 PM

In my opinion the 5.7X28 would not be a good round for any game except for varmint hunting. Also the bullets used in them are restricted to be less grain than most including the 223/5.56 NATO. Check Ballistics Charts. If it is your first AR I would suggest you give a lot of thought into the 223/5.56 AR Rifle. Ammunition is easier to get and less expensive. One reason you probably want the rifle is to shoot as much as you can and enjoy it. Another issue is even the 223 or 5.56 NATO as they also are called is even marginal as far as the ultimate Deer or medium game caliber. I have made good shots on coyotes only to see them run several yards before dropping. So if I were you I would buy the 223 and maybe later if you still want the 5.7X28 you could buy a complete upper assembly for your present rifle and have both calibers.
That is the neat thing about the AR-15 platform.
You could have an original 223 AR-15 in that caliber and then buy one of the below uppers and have another caliber. I will list some of them for you.
Original 223/5.56 *Some will also require a magazine in that caliber
6.8 SPC
204 Ruger
7.62X39
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM (AR-15 223 Mag)
6.5 Grendel
and others.
So you see the AR Platform is one of the most versitile weapons out there.

Good luck on your selection. Just buy a good quality rifle and uppers.

canebrake 01-06-2011 12:14 PM

NO........

Kwaynebb 01-06-2011 04:55 PM

@ sniper thank you for the info. The message seems to be loud and clear from everyone that the 57 is not worth the time. To be honest I dont plan on hunting a lot and I dont spend a lot of time or money target shooting, so whatever I buy will probably sit in the safe 9 months out of the year. However if I do use it I want it to be affective. I approach most of my gun buys like important life decisions, so if you could point me in a direction of a dependable AR that wont break the bank that might really help me out here. there are just too many makes and models to process for my already cluttered brain to handle. thank you

Kyle

HighSpeed 01-06-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwaynebb (Post 416360)
@ sniper thank you for the info. The message seems to be loud and clear from everyone that the 57 is not worth the time. To be honest I dont plan on hunting a lot and I dont spend a lot of time or money target shooting, so whatever I buy will probably sit in the safe 9 months out of the year. However if I do use it I want it to be affective. I approach most of my gun buys like important life decisions, so if you could point me in a direction of a dependable AR that wont break the bank that might really help me out here. there are just too many makes and models to process for my already cluttered brain to handle. thank you

Kyle

+1 to what Sniper said...

AND you could always buy a .22lr conversion kit for really inexpensive range days.

HighSpeed 01-06-2011 05:28 PM

For rifles that won't break the bank:

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Spike's Tactical
ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

or you could always buy a Stag
Stag Arms

I own a Stag Model 2T and love it, the base model is even cheaper. (The Stag is 1:9 twist with a chrome lined barrel... however the staking of the gas key isn't exactly perfect. You will have to make the decision if that is good enough for you. FWIW, the Spike's is staked correctly out of the box)

You could always piece one together and save a bundle. It's really not that hard, even if you're all thumbs like me!!!

RARGuns 01-09-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

We sell these for $759.00 and yes, they are pretty nice.

RARGuns 01-09-2011 03:35 AM

If you want to hunt, another alternative is a ACC 300 Blackout AR. They run the same price is most of our other ARs and shoot a thirty Cal.

mjkeat 01-09-2011 04:23 AM

RAR do you have .300 BLK barrels sitting around? If you could PM me a quote on a 16" 1:8 lightweight profile. Thank you.

mjkeat 01-09-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighSpeed (Post 416377)
For rifles that won't break the bank:

If I was going to go Spikes or any AR Id look into their midlength. I dont think Ill ever purchase a non SBR w/ a gas system shorter than a midlength.