Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking to buy my first AR-15 - LMT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to buy my first AR-15 - LMT

I've been researching the AR-15 platform for purchase for a few months now. After extensive searching I think I have decide on a rifle, but I would like to first hear your opinions on it.

The AR I have in my sights is a Lewis Machine &Tool CQB MRP Defender Model Piston 16. I really like the idea of a monolithic rail platform. The piston feature is also a huge selling point for me.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or better yet, hand on experience with LMT?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Welcome to the BRD club. Excellent choice for a first or last AR. I do have a couple LMT's, one with and I am totally sold on, the MRP.

As for the piston, you'll most likely hear yays and nays on that, as you would with most anything you post about on here or any other forum. Some will praise it for cool running, virtually no cleaning, etc, etc, etc. Others will bash it for price, longevity, etc, etc. Take it all with a grain of salt.

LMT products are pretty much rated with the best, top shelf AR's and accessories, on the market today. So rest assured you did not make a bad choice. You will have most likely paid for that, too. But hey...it's YOUR gun, good choice, enjoy it.

Slo

Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't waste money on a piston driven AR. There's absolutely no evidence of increased reliability in a semi-auto platform to justify the exhorbitant cost. Additionally, anyone interested in maximum accuracy should give serious thought to the additional vibrations and forces induced by the piston - one reason why SKS and AK designs do not exhibit match grade accuracy. For full-auto weapons, pistons serve a function, but not for semi-auto's that receive routine and proper maintenance.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #4

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Unless you're independently wealthy, what round count do you plan to expend in semi-auto to justify piston cycle? If it just comes down to 'want' go for it! But I would spend the bucks on the best:

Me really likie!

It has the one piece monolithic upper receiver with continuous rail platform.

The only change I made was the Hogue 15000.

You can only shoot one at a time, get the best!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Unless you're independently wealthy, what round count do you plan to expend in semi-auto to justify piston cycle? If it just comes down to 'want' go for it! But I would spend the bucks on the best:

Me really likie!

It has the one piece monolithic upper receiver with continuous rail platform.

The only change I made was the Hogue 15000.

You can only shoot one at a time, get the best!
He is, LMT ;-)

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #6

Liked 732 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I also think LMT is an excellent choice but not necessarily that model. The monolithic upper sounds like a great idea but with soooo many great choices in rails and FF tubes I think you're better off with a standard upper and the rail of your choice.

As far as the piston, I'd think twice there too. Nothing wrong with the DI gas system.

Anyway, LMT is right up there with Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske and a few others.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

LMT without the piston.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 49

For piston ARs, you might want to check out PWS Primary Weapons Systems for comparisons. The name is not so popular as LMT, most users here never heard of it. I think they make nice rifles, IMO.