You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Looking to buy my 1st AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Think I am gonna pass on the store brand and go with a known manufacturer. I didn't trust the polymer lower and my instinct was right.
Gun enthusiat for life.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1774 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

I think it's wise to pass on that one. The polymer lower and commercial stock/buffer tube are indicators of corners cut to meet a certain price point. Besides, $800-1000 can get you a really good AR that you'll be proud of and can trust if that very bad day ever comes. You'll see the names PSA, BCM, Colt and S&W a lot when good ARs are discussed. There are others of course. PSA tends to be the bargain these days.

Now there's nothing wrong with a custom build but I'd say do it yourself after reading the above stickys. Many of us here have done that and I can't remember anyone who was sorry they did, providing "due diligence" was done research-wise. (Most builds actually are assembling a stripped lower then buying a good upper receiver group.)

Anyway, lots of stickys and other informative threads here, take your time and enjoy!
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Old 07-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Hi VegasGunGirl. I'm on Vegas too and i do love shopping at NFA. It's my fav local store. I'd suggest the same as others did about the polymer. How heavy alumunium lowers these days? Not much difference!
Also i remember you are the girl with Desert Eagle, so polymer won't be your cup of tea . Just saying..
As it will be your 1st AR, i'd suggest the

S&W M&P15

Troy Defense at Dick's Sporting Goods

Dd V7

Hope this helps..