You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Looking to build my first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Our Canadian friend, you have made the first step to placing yourself and family on Poverty Row. Once you build an AR you will suddenly realize you could have done it differently and be just a bit nicer, but instead of rebuilding that one perhaps a whole new rifle is in order.
Never, never have a spare part for an AR because that too will suggest that just a few more parts and you could have another complete rifle. I have been able to resist these temptations and have only 36 AR's in 5.56, 9mm, .22 LR and 300 Blackout. Oh no my buddy just gave me two lowers he has had for some time----and it starts all over again

Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

Liked 336 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Our Canadian friend, you have made the first step to placing yourself and family on Poverty Row. Once you build an AR you will suddenly realize you could have done it differently and be just a bit nicer, but instead of rebuilding that one perhaps a whole new rifle is in order.
Never, never have a spare part for an AR because that too will suggest that just a few more parts and you could have another complete rifle. I have been able to resist these temptations and have only 36 AR's in 5.56, 9mm, .22 LR and 300 Blackout. Oh no my buddy just gave me two lowers he has had for some time----and it starts all over again
I think a 6.8 SPC and a 6.5 Grendel uppers are missing from your stable... :-) and no .50 Beowolf. You uncultured savage...

Old 01-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

Shopfox, Dont you dare call me uncultured or savage, I'll have you know I use A-1 sauce while gnawing on the uncooked carcass some hunter left in the woods, and with a napkin around my neck even!
Actually the calibers listed require more modified parts than i am willing to track down and the cartridges more involved than this old guy wants to deal with at the reloading bench. If twenty years younger I would be able to expand my hunting needs and try a Grindel but certainly not the 50 in an AR platform.
My shooting now is in plinking ( love unstructured shooting) and hog hunting in Texas where the .223 and especially 300 BO have done excellent jobs, just place shots carefully. My largest hog with a AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout was over 350 pounds, and belive me that is a lot of dead weight for two old guys to drag around if not for my buddies 4x4 and a length rope.
Shopfox Likes This 
Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Aha thanks for the comments fellas I'm having a good laugh!! Anyway I went and bought a palmetto state armoury complete lower with stock and a complete 16" upper with a keymod rail from brownels. Just waiting on the upper to slap these puppies together and away I go!!! Oh and I just bought a brand new sig 226 mk25 navy so you could say I have a lot of fun shooting coming
Shopfox Likes This 
Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #15

Oliver, Buy ammo! And mags ! And more ammo! Particularly while ammo is reasonably priced.