Looking at an AR-15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking at an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Speaking of custom paint on an AR, anyone have any experience with some of the DuraCoat kits that are out there? I'm thinking about a little paint job to set my rifle apart from all of the other black rifles that are out there. Purely aesthetics.
I will soon.

The second I saw those kits, I wanted to try one. . . bad!

I'll definitely post up the results when it gets used. I'm gonna throw a 2 tone tan/brown combo on the next AR once the upper gets here and stock is decided upon. If that turns out well, I'll explore with some greens on my XD, then who knows!?!?!?!?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Savage, just out of curiousity, if you ordered the parts from the US and had them shipped to you, would that offset customs charges? I suppose you'd have to buy the stripped lower in Canada but maybe buying the bulk of the gun here could save you money?

Of course I'm assuming none of this violates Canadian law, you'd have to check that.
Awesome idea, if legal.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #23

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

... yeah it would be great if he could have the components shipped to Canada and not get stuck too bad at customs. And another snag I just thought of... you'd have to find a dealer on this side of the border that would sell and ship to Canada.

And I'm assuming that you can buy a stripped lower there... Lots to find out before trying this.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I knew a gal in Canada for a long while and I would send her gift packages from the road from time to time. Customs in Canada is a bitch and they charge you out the starfish if they possibly can.

I remember one time I sent her a pair of those Ugg boots that the girls really like and she ended up paying about 50% of the purchase price in import charges. Kind of ruined the whole 'Surprise!' of the gift.

JD

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That kinda puts a damper on things.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I will soon.

The second I saw those kits, I wanted to try one. . . bad!

I'll definitely post up the results when it gets used. I'm gonna throw a 2 tone tan/brown combo on the next AR once the upper gets here and stock is decided upon. If that turns out well, I'll explore with some greens on my XD, then who knows!?!?!?!?
I was just on their website checking out their black and grey urban digital camo. Looks like it would be a difficult paint job, but would be really slick on the upper and lower receiver, and the hand guard. Just leave everything else black. Awefully pricey at 99.00 bucks for the kit, and I would be really pissed if I messed up.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Savage, just out of curiousity, if you ordered the parts from the US and had them shipped to you, would that offset customs charges? I suppose you'd have to buy the stripped lower in Canada but maybe buying the bulk of the gun here could save you money?

Of course I'm assuming none of this violates Canadian law, you'd have to check that.
Yes I could order all the parts except the lower from the US because Canadian law states that the lower is the illegal part to bring across the border. Now to solve the issue of a US dealer who would ship to Canada, If I could find someone who would order all the parts except the lower and I came down to pick it up and drive it across the border I could save huge on the price of the AR by avoiding custom dues. Then all I'd have to do is buy a lower and put it all together. I'm going to ask a guy at a store here near me if the store is able to order stuff from the states such as those kits including the lower because then it would be between the store and the US supplier to handle the legality of things. Only problem I see with that is then I'd likely get hit with the customs. So unless I drive down there and pick up the ordered parts from someone then I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not to mention I don't know anyone in the US who could acquire all the parts for me aside from the lower.