Looking at an AR-15 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Looking at an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage308 View Post
Well I plan on using it for shooting at the range doing some mid to long distance shooting as well as nostalgia. Also there's a competition discipline starting soon at a range near me that does long range shooting with only AR-15's chambered in a .223 caliber.
There you go. It sounds like you know just where you want to go withy your gun. I'd avoid Colt altogether. The more I hear, read and see about the difficulties involved with upgrading, replacing and adding parts to their guns, the more I know I will never even look at one twice.

Both of those rifles you listed (although some may disagree) have a "name" entwined in them that you are gonna pay for. By avoiding that name I'd bet you'd save a good 10% for an equal quality AR. JMO

Quote:
I'm going to make a couple calls today and inquire into the cost of building an AR-15 from pieces to "tailor" it to my needs but you see things are quite a bit more expensive in Canada so sometimes building it yourself is more expensive than purchasing the complete unit.
Look around. . . GOOD! and since your spending upwards of a grand on the rifle, make it something you really love. It may be more expensive to build one you say? Can you not receive parts via mail that are not an immediate part of the rifle? If the receiver comes out more, you should be able to make that up in other areas. Either way, I know it's difficult, but be patient! Don't jump on the first thing out there and you don't need a name to get performance.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For the money you can save building one, I don't know why you would look at buying a complete rifle. They are extremely easy to put together as well. I would look into your saving sif you go that route instead and then make a decision on what you want to do. Here in the lower 48, if you are thrifty, you can build a carbine for right around 600.00

Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post

Look around. . . GOOD! and since your spending upwards of a grand on the rifle, make it something you really love. It may be more expensive to build one you say? Can you not receive parts via mail that are not an immediate part of the rifle? If the receiver comes out more, you should be able to make that up in other areas. Either way, I know it's difficult, but be patient! Don't jump on the first thing out there and you don't need a name to get performance.
I'm going to speak to the guy at the store I shop at who owns an AR-15 and ask him about building one.

Last edited by Savage308; 02-02-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #14

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Here in the lower 48, if you are thrifty, you can build a carbine for right around 600.00
Please demonstrate.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Please demonstrate.
Look further down the threads at MY $500 AR KIT and youl see how to build an AR for under $600.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Please demonstrate.
J and T 16" carbine kit, 499.00 (includes everything you need to build a functioning rifle minus sights and the stripped lower)
Aero Precision stripped lower, 99.00
Shipping and various FFL fees, approx. 60.00

Assemble and you have a functioning rifle for 660.00, add optics of your choice. And there are certainly less expensive ways of doing this build as MrMilspecer pointed out.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Please demonstrate.
He's absolutely right. Here's the beginning to one of mine, it's still in progress and will most likey get a high end barrel and optics, but you can see how easy it would be to go the "economical" direction and still come out with a great gun.

Spikes Lower, AIM surplus $59
Spikes Blem upper $60
Spike's BCG $130
Vltor Billet charging handle (used) $30
Oversized charging latch (used) $5
Ejection port cover $5
Forward Assist and Ejection port spring kit $10
AR Stoner LPK $59
Yankee Hill Rifle Length Quad Rails (gun show) $75
Advance Tech. Buffer tube assembly $45
Spike's Buttstock $35

Total: $513

Plug in a barrel and gas block and you got a rifle.

Also there's a couple of items that weren't necessary (quad rail) and I could have skimped on the BCG a little more, but this gun isn't geared towards being solely "budget", but why not in certain areas? It's getting an 18" SPR barrel from White Oak and probably a custom paint job, since the girl at the shop has been begging to do one for me, so It'll turn out to cost a few hundred more than your typical budget gun.

But the point is that you can see where you can direct your build to fit your needs and save $$$ accordingly.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Speaking of custom paint on an AR, anyone have any experience with some of the DuraCoat kits that are out there? I'm thinking about a little paint job to set my rifle apart from all of the other black rifles that are out there. Purely aesthetics.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
He's absolutely right. Here's the beginning to one of mine, it's still in progress and will most likey get a high end barrel and optics, but you can see how easy it would be to go the "economical" direction and still come out with a great gun.

Spikes Lower, AIM surplus $59
Spikes Blem upper $60
Spike's BCG $130
Vltor Billet charging handle (used) $30
Oversized charging latch (used) $5
Ejection port cover $5
Forward Assist and Ejection port spring kit $10
AR Stoner LPK $59
Yankee Hill Rifle Length Quad Rails (gun show) $75
Advance Tech. Buffer tube assembly $45
Spike's Buttstock $35

Total: $513

Plug in a barrel and gas block and you got a rifle.

Also there's a couple of items that weren't necessary (quad rail) and I could have skimped on the BCG a little more, but this gun isn't geared towards being solely "budget", but why not in certain areas? It's getting an 18" SPR barrel from White Oak and probably a custom paint job, since the girl at the shop has been begging to do one for me, so It'll turn out to cost a few hundred more than your typical budget gun.

But the point is that you can see where you can direct your build to fit your needs and save $$$ accordingly.
You made a good move by NOT skimping on the BCG. Look forward to seeing the finished project. WOA makes good stuff.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Quote:
I'm going to speak to the guy at the store I shop at who owns an AR-15 and ask him about building one.
Savage, just out of curiousity, if you ordered the parts from the US and had them shipped to you, would that offset customs charges? I suppose you'd have to buy the stripped lower in Canada but maybe buying the bulk of the gun here could save you money?

Of course I'm assuming none of this violates Canadian law, you'd have to check that.

Newest Threads