Looking at an AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking at an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at an AR-15

Considering purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P15 and just wondering if anyone has any experience with these and can provide some input. It's priced comparably to a Colt I'm also looking at but the S&W M&P15 is in much better condition. It's claimed to be used but unfired, which I find hard to believe as any firearm I've bought or will buy, is/will be fired as soon as possible after taking possession of it. Who buys a firearm and doesn't fire it? You might as well just keep you money and put a bloody poster or picture of the thing up on your wall instead of buying it just to sell it back to a gun store as "Used and unfired"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #2

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

You're saying you found a used S&W and a used Colt? Well there's nothing wrong with buying used but you'll want to have them checked out.

There are plenty of guns that are bought and never fired. You really never know the story behind the gun so just get it checked out. If the price isn't much better than new, I'd go with a new one.

What prices are we talking about? And as far as a used Colt, you really want to do your homework because there are a lot of gotchas. Oddball pin sizes, funky bolt carrier groups, receiver blocks, you name it. Many of them are A2s as well.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #3

Both are used but the S&W is in better condition and is newer. Both are priced within 100 of each other with the S&W being 1375.00. Not sure what one new would be but I'll check that out and if there's not much of a difference between new and used I'll spend the extra for new.

http://www.williamsarms.net/usedguns/DSCF6321.JPG

http://www.williamsarms.net/usedguns/DSCF6323.JPG

Old 02-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #4

Used for $1375!!! Have we shot back in time to Nov 2008?

Savage, run away from these guys now! We can help you, tell us what you're looking for, we can save you money...

Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

Run Savage Run !

Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hes in CANADA.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Used for $1375!!! Have we shot back in time to Nov 2008?

Savage, run away from these guys now! We can help you, tell us what you're looking for, we can save you money...

Haha, listen to Quentin, he knows whats up

Savage, I would suggest building your own AR by buying the upper and lower separately, you'll save money and get a much better rifle tailored to your needs

Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Hes in CANADA.
Ah, thanks WA!

Guess now we need to find out what's the going price of ARs in Canada in Canadian dollars.

Savage, what do you want in an AR, what will you use it for?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

Well I plan on using it for shooting at the range doing some mid to long distance shooting as well as nostalgia. I was in the Canadian forces and the AR-15's are very similar to the C7 we used. Much like the US uses the M16 or whatever they're calling it now. In the infantry we had the C7A1 which is basically an AR-15 with a rocket propelled grenade launcher attached to the bottom rail. Pretty bad ass if you ask me. So my .308 will be my default weapon at the range for the long distance stuff but the AR-15 will be for the mid to long distance stuff that the .308 doesn't even take as a challenge. Also there's a competition discipline starting soon at a range near me that does long range shooting with only AR-15's chambered in a .223 caliber. That would be pretty cool to get into. I'm going to make a couple calls today and inquire into the cost of building an AR-15 from pieces to "tailor" it to my needs but you see things are quite a bit more expensive in Canada so sometimes building it yourself is more expensive than purchasing the complete unit.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage308 View Post
Well I plan on using it for shooting at the range doing some mid to long distance shooting as well as nostalgia. I was in the Canadian forces and the AR-15's are very similar to the C7 we used. Much like the US uses the M16 or whatever they're calling it now. In the infantry we had the C7A1 which is basically an AR-15 with a rocket propelled grenade launcher attached to the bottom rail. Pretty bad ass if you ask me. So my .308 will be my default weapon at the range for the long distance stuff but the AR-15 will be for the mid to long distance stuff that the .308 doesn't even take as a challenge. Also there's a competition discipline starting soon at a range near me that does long range shooting with only AR-15's chambered in a .223 caliber. That would be pretty cool to get into. I'm going to make a couple calls today and inquire into the cost of building an AR-15 from pieces to "tailor" it to my needs but you see things are quite a bit more expensive in Canada so sometimes building it yourself is more expensive than purchasing the complete unit.
Did Red Jacket Firearms make those for your unit ?

Did the roundslook like this?

THose are some crazy high prices. Move to America. We may not have the greatest politicians but we have a lot better prices on firearms.

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.