Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for another new upper

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,717
Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Default Looking for another new upper

I think Im going to stay on the same 5.56 platform as its cheap ammo and easily accessible most anywhere and I have a ton of it
I already have 3 16" and above and a shorty . Looking at a 14.7" in a middy .
Of course it will prob be a PSA , as I have had good luck with the other 2 I have . Any other suggestions besides what Im looking at ?

__________________

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-03-2012 at 01:16 AM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,178
Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Default

i HIGHLY recomend bcm uppers. they have their bcg on sale atm for 149$

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,470
Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i HIGHLY recomend bcm uppers. they have their bcg on sale atm for 149$
I bought a BCM upper a couple months ago and also recommend them. I knew I could save some bucks going with PSA but never have been sorry I went BCM. I also recommend Daniel Defense but it's harder to get a deal (unless Smartgunner.com has them in stock).


ETA:
Just checked SG and they do except the middy is 14.5 not 14.7". Also they don't have DD BCGs in stock so call it a miss I suppose.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek


Last edited by Quentin; 08-03-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,717
Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Default

Ok so maybe I just need a little push here , but I need explanation why BCM is a $115 better product . My buddy owns a complete BCM rifle , I have shot it and it runs flawless , I have PSAs that all run flawless , they all seem to have the same mil-specs and all the same testing . I have also asked him the same question time and time again and his answer is " its just better " . both bolts are HPI, MPT tested . Someones gonna have to sell me , Thats another 500 rds of ammo sitting in reserve for me
Maybe Im just overlooking something here . DD is a little higher than I would like to spend but that may be the road I decide to go down if I can find what Im looking for and to be honest with you Im not a fan of the railed handuards as I pretty much run my stuff pretty lean , and I do not like their other handguard either . I would like the standard M4 type handguards and if I decide to change it out later I will . Damn its hard to pick something out . LOL
PH

__________________

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,470
Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Ok so maybe I just need a little push here , but I need explanation why BCM is a $115 better product . My buddy owns a complete BCM rifle , I have shot it and it runs flawless , I have PSAs that all run flawless , they all seem to have the same mil-specs and all the same testing . I have also asked him the same question time and time again and his answer is " its just better " . both bolts are HPI, MPT tested . Someones gonna have to sell me , Thats another 500 rds of ammo sitting in reserve for me
Maybe Im just overlooking something here . DD is a little higher than I would like to spend but that may be the road I decide to go down if I can find what Im looking for and to be honest with you Im not a fan of the railed handuards as I pretty much run my stuff pretty lean , and I do not like their other handguard either . I would like the standard M4 type handguards and if I decide to change it out later I will . Damn its hard to pick something out . LOL
PH

Can't argue that PSA is a heck of a deal. I'm hoping my SIL gets their upper soon so I can compare with BCM and DD. Doubt there's much difference. If you want DD, look at smartgunner.com. Uppers without rail, BCG and charging handle for $409 as I remember.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,717
Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Default

Im not real sure what PSA has done to their bolts but something has changed in them the last one I bought the bolt had no MP or HP stamping on it . Im thinking I may just go ahead and stay with my original choice of the PSA upper ,
Something bad always happens to me when I change my mind , ALWAYS , I am going to go with a spikes BCG also , like I said Im not sure if I just got a odd BCG on the last go round but I wanna make sure and I found the spikes BCGs HP/ MP for a bargain price of $113 shipped
Smart gunner has some damn good deals on those uppers also , just no 14.5" without purchasing something else with it

__________________

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,717
Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Default

WOW , Joe Bobs had the Spikes BCGs for $113 shipped in limited quantities go on sale at 1:03 by 1:10 they were sold out . Glad I got my hands on one when I did

__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,470
Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Default

You might ask PSA if the unmarked BCGs are still HP/MP. I got a DD BCG a couple years ago that wasn't marked either but I trust the vendor, G&R Tactical, that it's right. They had a lot of questions about it and I since compared it to a marked DD and I feel good about it. Still you'd like it marked.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,717
Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You might ask PSA if the unmarked BCGs are still HP/MP. I got a DD BCG a couple years ago that wasn't marked either but I trust the vendor, G&R Tactical, that it's right. They had a lot of questions about it and I since compared it to a marked DD and I feel good about it. Still you'd like it marked.
It still has the PSA logo on the side just nothing on the bolt, guess I will have to shoot a email and a pic. Seems to work just fine so I'm not real worried about it just a little surprised as the other 2 were marked
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
X-mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 324
Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
It still has the PSA logo on the side just nothing on the bolt, guess I will have to shoot a email and a pic. Seems to work just fine so I'm not real worried about it just a little surprised as the other 2 were marked
PSA has mentioned on another forum that their BCGs are indeed HP/MP tested...there was a batch that did not get stamped.
__________________

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

X-mark is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
New upper Retaks AR-15 Discussion 6 05-14-2012 12:51 AM
AR-15 Chiappa .22 upper/CMMG upper any thoughts? greggos .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 2 02-23-2011 05:59 PM
ar upper?? CaseyChadwell AR-15 Discussion 15 10-25-2009 04:50 PM
AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper Cnynrat AR-15 Discussion 3 05-27-2009 03:52 AM
9mm upper? mwsfarm AR-15 Discussion 1 01-24-2009 05:27 PM



Newest Threads