Looking for affordable AR-15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for affordable AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtRIPPA View Post
Funny thing you should mention that Dillinger! I have been doing alot of research since my original post and my mind has been put to ease, the idea of building my own AR is very appealing to me now, and it doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be, and a heck of alot cheaper! Perhaps someone could take me under their wing and point me in the right direction? I'm going to need all the help I can get as far as what parts I need to get, what kind of permits or licensing I need to build my own rifle(s) if there are any in Idaho. I guess I should maybe just start another thread lol...
Read the build stickies, compile your own parts list then the knowledgeable folks here can guide you down the right path. You will be much more satisfied building your own and watching it shoot MOA than buying one, guaranteed!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtRIPPA View Post
Funny thing you should mention that Dillinger! I have been doing alot of research since my original post and my mind has been put to ease, the idea of building my own AR is very appealing to me now, and it doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be, and a heck of alot cheaper! Perhaps someone could take me under their wing and point me in the right direction? I'm going to need all the help I can get as far as what parts I need to get, what kind of permits or licensing I need to build my own rifle(s) if there are any in Idaho. I guess I should maybe just start another thread lol...
Not true in my experience unless you're using low quality parts. You really need to be careful when ordering parts. There are a lot of places making all sorts of "as good as" claims and are anything but.

In my experience especially w/ uppers there isn't a big enough price difference to negate having to purchase the proper tools needed to build to the same expertise as a company like Spikes or BCM which are in your price range. When you start looking at things such as the correct torque specs, staking and so on it's easier and costs similarly enough to not mess with it. I will admit I have completed a couple and it was a great feeling but probably won't do any more.

I'm actually starting to feel the same about lowers. Rainierarms sells a complete lower w/ IMOD stock and Timmney trigger for around $490 or $325 w/o Timmney trigger.

Edit: Here is a good kit well w/i the price range you stated in your OP.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/8978.php

Last edited by mjkeat; 11-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #13

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

I agree with MJ that it usually makes more sense to buy a complete upper, you save little to nothing even if you already have all the necessary tools. I've never built an upper but know I could, nothing that difficult - I just felt it made more sense to go with quality components to my spec and from there let a top notch factory assemble it for me. Now if you go with ultra cheap stuff you might save money on an upper build but I doubt it over PSA or Spikes.

Also I noticed that Jeff at Sawtac is now doing $10 transfers for members of the bosieshooters.com discussion board. Free to register so why not since you're in Boise.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #14

Oh that's great info, I will definitely check into that, thanks Quentin!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Lower price AR

Do you folks have a Academy, saw a AR in there recently, didn't pay much attention other than it was in the $700's, 16", carry handles style, 30rd mag. You can get a nice AR these days for $800 less easy, try RGuns