Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Looking for affordable AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/looking-affordable-ar-15-a-51484/)

ShirtRIPPA 11-09-2011 04:42 PM

Looking for affordable AR-15

Greetings, I am looking into buying an AR but I dont want to spend an arm and a leg to get one, especially since this will be my first AR purchase, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a reliable yet affordable AR in the $800 ballpark. Looking to make it my range toy primarily/possible coyote slayer. I am also wanting to buy a complete rifle, as of yet I dont have a great knowledge of how to build one. Thanks in advance!

tomill 11-09-2011 04:48 PM

Hello there, I am in the same boat and am considering the Stag. It is reasonably priced, and USA all the way. Others claim to be but these guys use and build everything right here in the states.

ShirtRIPPA 11-09-2011 05:22 PM

Yeah I was told to check them out also, and Double Star. Looks like its time to do some more research!

jeepejeep 11-09-2011 05:56 PM

A friend just got a Stag at a gun show a few months ago and loves it. I dunno if you can get one for $800 as his was around $900 new but it's a very good rifle.

FCross7 11-09-2011 06:07 PM

I'd search around and look for either a Spike's Tactical or a BCM. Both are in my opinion higher quality than a Stag, and can be had for around the same price.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Spike's ST-15 Carbine for $882 out the door. You could probably find a slightly better deal online.

-Fred

mjkeat 11-10-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCross7 (Post 623362)
I'd search around and look for either a Spike's Tactical or a BCM. Both are in my opinion higher quality than a Stag, and can be had for around the same price.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Spike's ST-15 Carbine for $882 out the door. You could probably find a slightly better deal online.

-Fred

+1 both are real good rifles.

Dillinger 11-10-2011 12:41 AM

I would seriously encourage both the OP and Poster 2 to consider building a lower and buying a known upper. More value for the dollar, better understanding of the platform and you will be much further along the knowledge curve when you start wanting to change out parts.

This forum has only had about 50 people come in with the same question as you folks and about 80% of them built as opposed to buying outright.

JD

Quentin 11-10-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 623705)
I would seriously encourage both the OP and Poster 2 to consider building a lower and buying a known upper. More value for the dollar, better understanding of the platform and you will be much further along the knowledge curve when you start wanting to change out parts.

This forum has only had about 50 people come in with the same question as you folks and about 80% of them built as opposed to buying outright.

JD

Couldn't agree more and I'll add that I can't remember even one new person who was sorry they built up a stripped lower, even if they had a little trouble along the way. It all works out well in the end especially with the help you get from people here. Start out by looking at JD's sticky on building a lower and you can look at the sticky with pictures of lower receivers to get an idea what's out there.

ShirtRIPPA 11-10-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 623705)

JD

Funny thing you should mention that Dillinger! I have been doing alot of research since my original post and my mind has been put to ease, the idea of building my own AR is very appealing to me now, and it doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be, and a heck of alot cheaper! Perhaps someone could take me under their wing and point me in the right direction? I'm going to need all the help I can get as far as what parts I need to get, what kind of permits or licensing I need to build my own rifle(s) if there are any in Idaho. I guess I should maybe just start another thread lol...

Quentin 11-10-2011 09:27 PM

No permits or licenses required to build an AR (semiauto) in Idaho. You just have to fill out the standard federal firearm form when you buy the stripped lower. From that point on pretty much anything can be shipped to your front door. If you have the lower shipped, it will have to be sent to a FFL near you. They charge a transfer fee and you fill out the federal form in their shop then can walk out with your new "firearm". I think SawTac and Hawktech both charge about $25 for the transfer fee plus they have some lowers in stock starting around $100 up. You don't pay a transfer fee if you buy what is in stock.