Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Looking for advice and information...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for advice and information...

Hi;

Within the last couple of weeks I purchased from a local dealer a new M15A4 LE Special. I like the gun and after adding a Millet TRS-1 have been getting to use it at my local range. We're limited to 100 yard maximums.

Within the last couple of days I've been trying to find an attachable bipod to aid me at the range. I'm 63, don't have the vision I used to and for 30 years have restricted my shooting to in close self-defense and tactical handgun practice so I'm a novice with the M15.

I sent some questions to Armalite who and their response basically was the 6" foregrip and shorty gas system was specific to this particular model and that I'd need to buy their kit # 10705112KIT. After reading what was available this makes sense however my foregrip is 8 1/4" long and not 6".

I'm looking for advice and information.

Thanks in advance

Dick_M15

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I took a look at the Armalite site and the M15 rifles. From looking at the photos it appears that they come with a sling mounting loop at the front end of the forearm. I would think that a Harris Bipod should be able mount to this point, then reattach the sling loop to the bipod? A few pics might be more helpful.

Congrats on your SUR!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Default Looking for advice and information

Thanks for the advice. I am looking into getting a picture online but I just received this from the factory rep:

The LEC models are the only rifles we sell with the 6” “shorty” carbine gas system. Most manufacturers consider this the original carbine gas system. We developed the “mid-length” for all of our other carbines as it has a more reliable gas system than the 6” “shorty” gas system. When I looked up your serial number US341375, I found that your rifle is a 15A4C. This is not an LE model and has the mid-length gas system. You would need the 10705111KIT mid-length 1913 quad rail non-free float handguard for a bi-pod to be attached.

Needless to say I am not happy but really don't know what to do about the dealer if anything.

Dick_M15

Old 02-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dick,

So if I'm understanding this right, all you want to do is add some type of bipod - but you currently have the plastic (poly) handguards and NO railed handguards - correct?

An easy way to do this WITHOUT having to buy their kit, would be to add a rail to the bottom of your plastic handguard first - Ergo rails

Next, what kind of bipod are you thinking of adding? Do you want something like a Harris that allows you to extend the bipod for kneeling or sitting position or just for prone?

After adding the rail, you would add an adapter like this: Harris bipod rail adapter Your bipod would then attach to the sling swivel on that adapter.

I know...kind of a long way around, but it would accomplish what you wanted.

OR...you could attach a GRIPOD to the rails. Gripod bipod assembly

This would give you a vertical front grip to hold onto, as well as a bipod when you need it, the legs retract inside the vertical grip.

OR...you can always change out the handguards and put on a rail assembly, this would allow you to attach a lot of different things, (lights, bipods, lasers, etc)

Just a couple options, I hope that helps a bit.

Slo

Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I tried this and works great for my application

100_0805.jpg  

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
I tried this and works great for my application
Is that bolted right through the handguard?

Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #7

Default Lookin for a....

Great picture. Are those rail structures on you grips? Mine do not have them which begs the question of what are they and how are they attached?

Dick

Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_M15 View Post
Great picture. Are those rail structures on you grips? Mine do not have them which begs the question of what are they and how are they attached?

Dick

Dick,

Just a quick question. Are the hand guards on your SUR the standard or carbine hand guards with the vent holes on the top and bottom? If they are like slow stated above you can get a rail to attach to the bottom hand guard. I just put one on Lindas patrol rifle as she did not want a complete rail system and liked the standard hand guards, she just wanted to be able to attach a tactical vertical grip if she wanted. The rail is attached through the vent holes with screws and flat lock nuts. It holds the rail very tight. you can then attache a rail bipod and your ready to go. Just my two cents.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #9

Default Looking...

DZ;

Yes the grips are as you describe; a line of ventilation holes along the top and bottom linear axis. Thanks for the tip...I'll look for a rail and mounting system as described.

Dick

Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Must just be me, but is there a real need for a Bi-pod on an AR? I don't see the point.
But then again I don't even have an AR.