Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   looking for a 6.8 spc piston ar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/looking-6-8-spc-piston-ar-59063/)

Wi_Hunter556 02-29-2012 05:34 AM

looking for a 6.8 spc piston ar

Hey guys what are my options for a piston driven ar in a 6.8 spc? My laptop is down so I'm on my phone and its hard to do a lot of research on here. My price range is $1000-$1800.

I was going to go with an acr or m1a but id like a 6.8

mjkeat 02-29-2012 01:38 PM

If you need the 6.8 w/ piston check out AR15performance then look into Adams Arms. I've never been a big fan of add-on piston systems but other than going w/ a LWRC it's your only real option.

vmkeith 03-01-2012 05:07 AM

My personal opinion, as well as those I've read from many others, an AR with a piston gas system has not really shown any advantage to the average shooter...whether that be for range shooting, simply plinking, or home defense. Also, anything you may have heard about a piston gas AR being cleaner than a DI gas AR isn't necessarily true...the carbon buildup and gunk seems to find different areas to accumulate.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying what you want...just helping you make an informed decision. One place I always direct anybody that is looking at getting a 6.8 SPC AR is the 68forums (just google it). I haven't come across any other location that has more information about the 6.8 SPC AR than them. In fact, several of the people on that forum have helped develop the platform to what it is now after Remington seemed to have abandoned it.

If I was to recommend an AR manufacturer for a 6.8 SPC rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to say one of three places...AR Performance, Bison Armory, or Noveske Rifleworks. Myself, I bought a Noveske Rouge Hunter in 6.8 SPC, and she is a tack driver. Using both SSA and Hornady factor ammo (110gr SPHs or 110gr HPBT) I'm consistently shooting sub MOA. I've read the same reports with AR Performance and Bison Armory rifles.

Good luck and happy shooting.

fsted2a 03-01-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 (Post 723982)
Hey guys what are my options for a piston driven ar in a 6.8 spc? My laptop is down so I'm on my phone and its hard to do a lot of research on here. My price range is $1000-$1800.

I was going to go with an acr or m1a but id like a 6.8

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_783/products_id/74668/BARR+12256+REC7+6.8+16IN

Don't know what the price is, just throwing the Barrett out there.

Wi_Hunter556 03-03-2012 04:11 PM

I've looked at Barrett and bison. I'm almost tempted to look into the acr since I've heard that they will release the 6.8 barrel soon. I might start building a 6.8 if I can get my mom to put the receiver in her name since I'm not 21 yet.

Should I go billet or forged? I suppose there's not much gained besides looks.

Quentin 03-03-2012 08:38 PM

I'd fix the laptop for now then put a lot more thought in this. You're swinging wildly to the extremes when most of the time the sweet spot is where you'll find the best equipment and prices.

Wi_Hunter556 03-03-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
I'd fix the laptop for now then put a lot more thought in this. You're swinging wildly to the extremes when most of the time the sweet spot is where you'll find the best equipment and prices.

Will do. Where am I messing up? Barrett and Bison are both piston driven. The acr is piston, just a somewhat different platform. I'm gonna start digging for some more info.

Quentin 03-03-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 (Post 727761)
Will do. Where am I messing up? Barrett and Bison are both piston driven. The acr is piston, just a somewhat different platform. I'm gonna start digging for some more info.

You're swinging wildly to the extremes ... At least it looks to me. Tell us why those choices are perfect for you. Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm but you'll be glad later if you're headed down the wrong road.

X-mark 03-03-2012 10:21 PM

For Piston, I would go with Adam's on the less expensive side, or if you can save up a bit more, get an LMT or LWRCi. If you do not need a piston set-up, your options open up to a lot more for much less money, allowing you to spend more on ammo and accessories. 6.8 is an expensive round to shoot often.

Wi_Hunter556 03-03-2012 11:26 PM

I've been thinking about the routes I could go. I think I might just start building a rifle and put the adams kit on it, but then again I might not and put that towards an optic.